How To Survive the Worst Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

You sit down on the first day of class, your outfit on point and not a care in the world because duh it’s Syllabus Day. The professor hands you the syllabus, goes over it for 10 or 15 minutes, and as you are ready to pack up your fresh new school supplies, what do they do? THEY BEGIN TEACHING and it looks like it’s going to be a loooonggg semester.

We all have those insufferable classes that seem either never-ending, impossible, or both. These classes are inevitable, but that does not mean they are not survivable. The goal is to make it out of the semester, not to mention each class, unscathed by its wretchedness. Here are some tips to help you get through these sometimes torturous classes.

1. It probably helps to actually go to class.

Sometimes it’s a struggle to even get to classes that you actually like, let alone those that you don’t like. However, if you are really struggling in a class, it will probably help a lot to go to class. If the class is early, try going to bed a little earlier so that instead of focusing on how tired you are and not retaining any information, you are actually a little bit more focused.

2. Take detailed notes!

This is a must for difficult classes. It is going to help so much in the long run if you have detailed notes for difficult classes. You don’t have to copy down every single thing on the professor’s PowerPoint, but you should have a method of note-taking that you know works for you, so that when it’s time to study for that test, you will have all of the information you need to do well on the test. I also find that taking a lot of notes and staying engaged in classes that seem to drag on can help the time pass quicker because there is something that keeps my focus. If you are super bored, doodle on your notes during lagging moments in class to make them go by faster.

3. Make a friend!

If you don’t already know people in your class, it might help to make a friend or two in class so that you aren’t suffering alone. It’s also beneficial to have people in the class that you can study with and to help each other with the homework. Plus if you do happen to miss class, they can give you the notes that you missed that day.

4. Try to stay focused!

Try to stay focused! It can be really hard if the class is really boring or if the material is going right over your head. Limiting your distractions can help with this. If you take notes on your laptop, resist the urge to go on Facebook or Pinterest. Also, don’t look at your phone or talk to your friends. These things will not only help you stay focused, but they are also common classroom courtesy.

5. Office hours are your friend!

Your professors want to help you! That’s what they are here for. Utilize those office hours if you are having a hard time with the course material! Office hours also just help the professors get to know you better and vice versa. This can help ease the pain of the class in general.

6. Reward yourself for getting through it!

To get through class, promise yourself something every once in awhile! Go to Einstein’s after class as a reward for getting through class, or go to Chipotle or Cook Out when you get that big test out the of the way! This will keep you motivated during class.

7. Dress for success!

If you know a class is going to drag on, dress for success so that you have a positive, can-do attitude ready to go. This especially helps with tests to put you in the right mindset.

8. Utilize on-campus resources.

There are resources on campus that will help you if you are truly struggling. You could get a tutor to help you through the class, and many classes also offer peer group sessions to help with those tough classes.

9. Stay positive!

This can be difficult if a class is really getting you down, but try to stay positive! Try and find one thing about the class that you like or relate to and really focus on that one thing. It can help you get through those really taxing classes if you have a decent attitude about it. Again, this is not an easy feat, but it doesn’t hurt to try because it can make a difference. And remember, you are not the only one struggling through these horrible classes! We all have these classes at some point in our college careers, so don’t let one class get you down!

Sadie is a senior at Christopher Newport University with a major in Communication Studies and a double minor in English Literature and Theatre. Sadie is the Social Media Director and Instagram Admin. of the CNU chapter of HerCampus, the Vice President of Take Note a Cappella, the Treasurer of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity, and Secretary of Lambda Pi Eta Communications Honor Society. Sadie enjoys singing, justice, Harry Potter, Netflix, rhetoric, hanging out with her Squad at home and her Clique at school, Mexican Food, and a good GIF.