House Hunters: Presidential Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

With the 2016 Presidential Election only 61 weeks away, we know you are in a frenzy trying to decide who to vote for… or to figure out who is even running. Below are six candidates to keep your eye on as they are sure to have quite an impact on the election, regardless of who wins and becomes the Top Dog or the Big Cheese or whatever.

Bernie Sanders: Independent / Democrat

Credentials: Mayor of Burlington, Vermont (1981-1989), Representative from Vermont (1991-2007), Chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs (2013-2015), Senator of Vermont (2007-Incumbent).

Platform: Sanders is most vocal about fighting income inequality in the United States and the importance of wealth in our political and election systems. Sanders is also outspoken against violence toward and the degradation of non-white Americans and women. Not only does he advocate for US leadership in the fight against climate change, he hopes to prevent the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline and encourage the production and use of green energy sources. 

Website: berniesanders.com

Best Quote: Sanders is the longest serving independent in the history of the United States Congress. When he announced his candidacy for president he told the Associated Press “I’ve run outside of the two-party system, defeating Democrats and Republicans, taking on big-money candidates and, you know, I think the message that has resonated in Vermont is a message that can resonate all over this country. People should not underestimate me.”

[pagebreak]

Hillary Clinton: Democrat

Credentials: Senator of New York (2001-2009), Secretary of State (2009-2013) 

Platform: Clinton names “the four fights” she will take on if she is elected President: building up the economy, strengthening families by implementing reforms to benefit women and people of color, defending America (militarily and diplomatically), and revitalizing the US democracy by combating the gridlock brought on by the two-party system.

Website: hillaryclinton.com

Best Tweet:

[pagebreak]

Joe Biden: Democrat

Credentials: Senator of Delaware (1973-2009), Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee (1987-1995), Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (2007-2009), Vice President of the United States (2009-Incumbent).

Platform: Vice President Biden has not officially announced his candidacy for President, however, we are hazarding a guess that he just might. Biden’s record is decidedly liberal, receiving high approval ratings from labor unions, LGBT, progressive taxation, and abortion rights lobbyists. The vice president is also an advocate for gun control and oversaw the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.

Website: whitehouse.gov

Best Tweet:

[pagebreak]

Donald Trump: Republican

Credentials: Chairman and President of the Trump Organization, Chairman of Trump Plaza Associates, LLC, Chairman of Trump Atlantic City Associates

Platform: Trump is most vocal about immigration reform in the United States, specifically enforcing more strict regulation of the border and deportation policies. In fact, at the time of this writing, immigration is the only position addressed on Trump’s election website. Trump is also prioritizing the economy and during his presidential run announcement promised to be “the greatest jobs president that God ever created.”

Website: donaldjtrump.com

Best Tweet:

[pagebreak]

Jeb Bush: Republican

Credentials: Florida Secretary of Commerce (1987-1988), Governor of Florida (1999-2007)

Platform: Bush is a staunch conservative upholding ideals like the right to bear arms, tax cuts to stimulate the economy, and supporting the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline for the purpose of resource distribution and job creation. However, he has said he believes the new laws allowing same-sex marriage should be respected and upheld. 

Website: jeb2016.com

Best Tweet:

[pagebreak]

Carly Fiorina: Republican

Credentials:  Senior Vice President and Head of North American Operations for AT&T (1990-1999), CEO of Hewlett-Packard (1999-2004), Chairperson of Non-Profit Good360 (2012-Present)

Platform: Fiorina believes herself especially suited for the presidency as a “citizen-leader” instead of a career politician. Her conservative values include being pro-life, anti-Obamacare, and in favor of maintaining traditional marriage. Fiorina’s more liberal ideals are being an advocate for the decriminalization of the possession of many drugs and an acceptance of the scientific evidence presented that supports human-created climate change. 

Website: carlyforpresident.com

Best Quote: Fiorina was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009 and underwent a double mastectomy and chemotherapy. When challenging Barbara Boxer for California’s Senate seat in 2010, Fiorina said “I have to say that after chemotherapy, Barbara Boxer just isn’t that scary anymore.”