Guessing Games: What is Going in the Old Schooners Building?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Now that we’ve gone over a semester with an empty space that was previously rented by Schooners restaurant, there are a lot of rumors surrounding what it may become. While I am not the expert on these matters, nor do I have intel about what it could be, here are a few of my own guesses.

1. More food

I think a lot of students (and faculty) are looking for more options and increased variety for food on East Campus. I think the question from here will be whether it will be a sit-down restaurant, like Schooners, or fast food, like Subway. I’ve heard hopes of a Five Guys or a Chipotle. Personally, I doubt they will put in a Chipotle to compete with Moe’s.

2. An extension of the Captain’s Locker

I think one of the things we could definitely use is a more expansive bookstore. It also might make it easier for East Campus residents to get scantrons and other test materials. With the bookstore, CNU would have the ability to provide the most popular books that students need for classes because, if we are being honest, the online bookstore is not the most efficient or useful.

3. Sell it to the Luter School of Business

One of the most useful pieces this space can do for the CNU community is helping us learn. As a learning initiative, the Business School could have classes run either a mom & pop shop or a corporate business. Either way, as a learning experience, this initiative would benefit both sides of CNU’s campus.

4. UPS/ Mailing store

A mailing store might make sending packages (especially returning rental books) easier for all of campus and receiving packages easier for East Campus residents. It would also alleviate the stress of the mail room at the beginning of semesters due to minimal space and maximum shipping to students. If it is solely for sending packages, that’s great too, because finding a UPS drop-off location on campus is beyond difficult, and some students don’t always know how to mail packages on their own yet; with an on-campus mailing store, it reduces the panic of beginning adulting.

What you do think should go in the empty space in the Village?