Wellness > Health

Embrace Spring with a Smile: Tips to Survive Allergy Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

knowing triggers

As the temperature begins to warm and flowers bloom, there’s one inevitable truth that comes with springtime: allergy season is upon us. While the season brings vibrant colors and the promise of outdoor adventures, for many, it also brings sneezing, itchy eyes, and congestion. But fear not, fellow allergy sufferers! With a few simple tips and tricks, you can breeze through allergy season with a smile on your face. First and foremost, arm yourself with knowledge. Understanding what triggers your allergies can be a game-changer. Pollen from trees, grasses, and flowers is a common culprit, as well as dust mites and pet dander. By identifying your triggers, you can take proactive steps to minimize exposure.

cleaning

One of the simplest ways to combat allergies is to keep your living space clean. Regularly dusting, vacuuming, and washing bedding can help reduce the allergens that accumulate indoors. Consider investing in a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter for your vacuum cleaner and air purifiers to capture even the smallest particles.

timing

When venturing outdoors, timing is key. Pollen counts tend to be highest in the morning and on windy days, so try to schedule outdoor activities for later in the day when pollen levels are lower. Wearing sunglasses can also help protect your eyes from allergens while outdoors.

medication

Another essential tool in your allergy-fighting arsenal is medication. Over-the-counter antihistamines can provide relief from symptoms like sneezing, itching, and runny nose. Nasal sprays and decongestants can also help alleviate congestion and sinus pressure. If over-the-counter options aren’t cutting it, considering consulting a healthcare professional about prescription-strength medications or allergy shots. In addition to medication, natural remedies can offer some relief. Nasal irrigation with a saline solution can help flush out allergens and clear nasal passages. Herbal teas containing ingredients like chamomile, peppermint, or nettle may also help soothe allergy symptoms. Always make sure to talk to your doctor if you have any concerns!

diet & self-care

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can also bolster your body’s defenses against allergies. Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and omega-3 fatty acids can help support your immune system. Staying hydrated is also crucial, as it helps thin mucus and keeps nasal passages moist. Lastly, don’t forget to take care of yourself mentally and emotionally during allergy season. Allergies can be draining, both physically and mentally, so be sure to prioritize self-care activities that help you relax and unwind. Whether it’s practicing yoga, taking a bubble bath, or simply curling up with a good book, make time for activities that bring you joy and peace of mind.

So, as allergy season approaches, arm yourself with these tips and face it head-on with with confidence. With a little preparation and self-care, you can enjoy all the beauty that spring has to offer without letting allergies hold you back. Here’s to a season filled with sunshine, laughter, and plenty of allergy-free adventures!

Allison is a Junior at Christopher Newport University, studying Psychology and Leadership Studies. She enjoys reading, writing poetry, and listening to Alt Rock music. Find her on insta @allibryan