To Drink or Not to Drink: The New TGL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

On Wednesday, September 23 (the first day of fall), Starbucks unveiled a new drink: the Toasted Graham Latte. Now, last week, I posted an article about fall at CNU, entitled 5 Signs You Know Fall is Here at CNU, and in it the first thing I mentioned was the awesome fact that Einstein’s is selling Pumpkin Spice Lattes, the absolute signature of fall. However, knowing that there’s a new drink that everyone will either fawn over or absolutely detest, I had to go investigate.

The newest Starbucks that is closest to CNU is roughly 5 miles away off of Jefferson Ave. in the new shopping and dining area called Tech Center at Oyster Point. This new outdoor shopping center will rival both Patrick Henry Mall and City Center at Oyster Point, and it features major retailers like DSW, and restaurants like P.F. Chang’s and Jimmy John’s. The Starbucks there was one of the first businesses to open, and it’s just as modern and upbeat as all the others. In fact, its newness even flows into the kinds of drinks it serves, including the brand new Toasted Graham Latte.

Starbucks describes this new drink as a seasonal beverage where “graham and sweet cream meet steamed milk and [their] signature espresso, then finished off with a sprinkling of cinnamon graham crumbles for a less sweet perfect treat.”

So, did it live up to its expectations?

Honestly, I think the only thing that makes it “graham”-y is the toasted sprinkles on the top.

Or, maybe I’m just salty because of the fact that I didn’t get a cool fall cup like everyone else did.

Or, it’s because (like I usually do whenever I drink warm beverages) I burned the inside of my upper lip on my first sip of the drink.

I spoke with the baristas that were on shift when I ordered my drink, and, while they are unable to tell me exactly how many pumps of this-or-that is in the drink, the shift supervisor did comment on how she felt the drink wasn’t as strong as she thought it would be.

Not that that’s a bad thing, though.

After the first couple of sips, I definitely got a wiff of sitting by a bonfire, roasting marshmallows for s’mores, enjoying a cool, breezy night, all while conversing with close friends; one of whom is playing an acoustic guitar and singing covers of classics in the background.

If you really want to know what’s in the TGL, then you should call Starbucks’ Customer Relations at 1-800-23-LATTE (cute and punny, right?) or you can just decide for yourself what you think is in it. I’m thinking maybe vanilla, espresso, steamed milk, whipped cream and the toasted graham sprinkles.

While it’s not the worst drink I’ve ever tasted (definitely not as overly-sweet as the Salted Caramel Mocha), I think I’m going to stick with my usuals of a sweetened-with-classic iced passion tea, caramel frappuccino with non-fat milk and no whip, or a chai latte with whipped cream.

If you’re adventurous, then definitely try the TGL. And, if you think it isn’t sweet enough, try adding a couple of pumps of irish creme or stick with the sweeter fall drinks like the Salted Caramel Mocha or the classic Pumpkin Spice Latte. As for the “secret menu” (which actually doesn’t exist and realistically annoys the crap out of Starbucks baristas; and you wonder why they spell your name wrong…), peruse it to find something that you might like. I’ve always thought it would be interesting to try the butterbeer recipe, but, as someone who makes Starbucks drinks, I’m not the fondest of trying anything off the “secret menu.”

But, seriously, though? Those toasted cinnamon graham sprinkles are da bomb.

So, head on out to the Starbucks at Tech Center, and try the new TGL for yourself!

You can categorize Royall as either Leslie Knope when she has her color-coded binders: or Hyde whenever Jackie comes into a room before they start dating: There is no in-between.  Royall recently graduated with her B.A. in Sociology & Anthropology from CNU and now studies Government & International Relations at Regent University. She also serves as the Victim Advocate and Community Outreach Coordinator for Isle of Wight Co., VA in Victim Witness Services. Within Her Campus, she served as a Chapter Writer for CNU for one year, a Campus Expansion Assistant for a semester, Campus Correspondent for two years, and is in the middle of her second semester as a Chapter Advisor.  You can find her in the corner of a subway-tiled coffee shop somewhere, investigating identity experiences of members of Black Greek Letter Organizations at Primarily White Institutions as well as public perceptions of migrants and refugees. Or fantasizing about ziplining arcoss the French Alps.