Decorations without the Citations: Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Everyone loves the holidays. There are usually tons of theme parties, a crazy amount of decorations available, and you can always make an array of baked goods that could feed an entire country of starving orphans.

But, seriously. Holidays are super fun, if you know what you’re doing. This will be the first of several installments on decorating for the more mainstream holidays we experience here at CNU, but it comes with a twist: avoiding fire code citations.

Sure, it’s super easy to just remove things and hide them when you know that your RA, the Hall Director, or the Fire Marshal is coming ‘round. But why waste those moments of your day when you can just follow the rules but still have such a cute dorm that your Hall Director decides to give you a gift card to Yogurtini or Panera because of it? *winky face*

Now, I must disclose this statement before we get started: If, at any time, you are unsure about whether or not something follows code, could start a fire, etc, then please reference the ResLife Handbook.

On to the fun part! Click on the photos below for the links to find out more about the decorations!

Things that hang. The most common part of Halloween is hanging things from the ceiling, wall, or door (like that super-cute “Welcome” sign you found). However, CNU’s fire code states that things cannot be hung from the ceiling or anywhere above one-and-a-half cinder blocks from said ceiling. Utilizing handy-dandy objects like Command Hooks (which come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and weights) can help with that. They can either be inconspicuous (using the clear ones), or blend in with the wall paint (using the white ones). If you want to hang the black and white photos that change when you walk past (like the ones Michaels sells), Command also makes sticky-strips that attach to each other with velcro, but you definitely have to make sure you get the right weight because otherwise they’ll fall off. The picture below is a cute sign to hang on one of the walls in your dorm: simple, chic, and Halloween!

Buy fake pumpkins. Even though the handbook says that live garlands, trees, etc. are not allowed (but doesn’t include live pumpkins), in order to err on the side of caution, definitely buy craft pumpkins. They’re waaay easier to decorate; while you don’t get the nitty-gritty-fun experience of using a large spoon and carving tools to create a cool design, you can still have fun spray painting or using decorative markers on the plastic pumpkins to look even better. Also, you aren’t allowed candles, so having fake pumpkins means that everyone will still see your creation at night if you use glo-in-the-dark paint and stick it in your window sill. The picture below leads to an awesome tutorial on painting craft pumpkins.

Speaking of candles… You can’t have them. However, places like Michaels, Target, Walmart, and any other store with a craft section sell tea lights: battery powered lights that give the effect of a flickering candle light. The only downside is that most of them don’t have a scent. Some tutorials even use battery operated string lights, just like the one below. Using string lights or tea lights usually gives off a larger light radius in the dark anyway, and if you really like a design/tutorial that calls for a real candle, feel free to switch it out! Crafting doesn’t always require you to follow the directions exactly; that’s why it’s an art!

Make a wreath! Wreaths are cute, easy ways to have everyone see that you’re in-tune with the holidays. Remember to use a Command Hook on the front of your door. The intensity level ranges from easy to very difficult, so there’s always something for everyone to make. The picture below leads to a blog that has links to 25 different wreath tutorials. Pick one and have some fun!

If you’re on a budget (like we all are), then get ideas from the fancy-schmancy craft stores and then visit Pinterest! Even though making homemade decorations might take up more of your time that you would want to use for studying for midterms, taking a break to utilize all of the crafty things Pinterest has to offer is actually one of my many stress relievers. Some of the crafts require more finesse or creativity than I have (there’s a reason I’m a band kid and not a visual art student), but it can also make for some fun time with your roommate/suitemates. If you go to the more expensive stores and get ideas for what you would like to have hanging on your walls or sitting on your coffee table, you can run to the Dollar Tree and pick up things to assemble homemade versions of the overpriced decorations you saw. From elegant and classy to downright spooky, Pinterest has decoration ideas of all sorts. If you don’t have an account, get one now!

Halloween is my favorite holiday, and it isn’t just because that’s my parents’ wedding anniversary. Halloween season allows for the air to be filled with mystery; you never know what you’re going to see, hear, or feel. It allows your imagination to open widely and wander aimlessly, and I love decorating for it because it helps me reflect my feelings for it. So, follow these safe decorating tips and let’s all make sure CNU’s campus is decked out for Halloween!

You can categorize Royall as either Leslie Knope when she has her color-coded binders: or Hyde whenever Jackie comes into a room before they start dating: There is no in-between.  Royall recently graduated with her B.A. in Sociology & Anthropology from CNU and now studies Government & International Relations at Regent University. She also serves as the Victim Advocate and Community Outreach Coordinator for Isle of Wight Co., VA in Victim Witness Services. Within Her Campus, she served as a Chapter Writer for CNU for one year, a Campus Expansion Assistant for a semester, Campus Correspondent for two years, and is in the middle of her second semester as a Chapter Advisor.  You can find her in the corner of a subway-tiled coffee shop somewhere, investigating identity experiences of members of Black Greek Letter Organizations at Primarily White Institutions as well as public perceptions of migrants and refugees. Or fantasizing about ziplining arcoss the French Alps.