This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Dash and Lily, otherwise known as your new christmas obsession. This new Netflix original is based on the bestselling novel by David Leviathan (writer of Every Day) and Rachel Cohn, titled Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares. The story is an ode to the sort of magical, impromptu, and fantastic romance touched only by daydreams and Hallmark movies. 

a nicely decorated Christmas tree
Photo by Kevin Bidwell from Pexels

Summary

The story itself is like a hormone-fueled, Christmas-themed You’ve Got Mail (excluding the bitter rivalry). It is a fantastical romance told from two perspectives: the optimistic, holiday-loving Lily and the cynical Dash, hater of Christmas. Despite their clashing personalities, they grow close through the ultimate meet-cute: a journal, where they share their dreams, desire, and fears. The only catch? They haven’t actually met. They communicate only through the journal, where they bond and dare each other to do things that push them out of their comfort zone. From trying new and unusual foods to going to underground concerts, this show is not without its fair share of adventures. Even with its cutesy premise, the show actually goes pretty deep, exploring both family and self-confidence issues. 

Production

The show is filled with a strong and diverse cast, with the leads being Austin Abrams (Euphoria) and Midori Francis (Good Boys). It features a cameo from Nick Jonas, who even serves as an executive producer on the show. It is produced by Joe Tracz, who has also produced well-received shows like A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Journaling
Photo by My Life Journal from Unsplash

My consensus? Despite only having 8 episodes, the story is able to take you through a whirlwind of emotions; you will laugh, cry, and melt at this utterly sweet romance. This show is certainly a must-watch for any fan of the holidays or rom-coms. 

Christmas bauble
Photo by Freestocks from Unsplash

Interested? You can watch it on Netflix here

Hi, CNU Freshman here. I write about stuff.