Clubs, Organizations, Greek Life, OH MY!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Getting involved is a vital part of the college experience. Campus involvement is part of what makes being a Captain so special because of the friendly community vibe! Coming in as a freshman, all of the opportunities to get involved can be a little overwhelming – you may not even know where to start. Here are some tips to help you get involved on campus, not just for freshmen but for upperclassmen as well!

So you probably went to club fair and signed up for ALL THE CLUBS!

But then when the clubs sent out the emails for their first meeting, you were too lazy or too nervous to go alone…

Never fear! There are still plenty of ways to get involved even if you have missed the first couple of meetings. Most clubs and organizations are always happy to have new members, no matter what time of year it is. Here are some of the various ways to get involved around campus!

1. Performance-Based Organizations!

If you love to perform, but maybe don’t have much of an opportunity to do it anymore because it isn’t your major, then you would probably find a home in a performance-based organization! These groups perform at various events around campus. For instance, CNU has six amazing a Cappella groups! If you missed the big fall auditions, watch to see if the groups will be having additional auditions in the spring. We also have Improv Groups, other music organizations, a student-run theatre organization, and various dance groups!

Hypnotic Control

Take Note a Cappella

The Improvocateurs

2. Greek Life!

While Greek Life isn’t for everyone, it can be a great way to make friends and get involved on campus. Many of the sororities have open recruitment events all throughout the fall semester so that you can get to know them all. Then, in the spring, formal recruitment leads to Bid Day, where Captains find out which sorority is to be their new sisterhood and run home.

Zeta Tau Alpha

Delta Gamma

3. Do some community service!

CNU puts a really big emphasis on doing community service, as they should! Community service is a lot of hard work, and it leaves you feeling great because you are giving back to the community. There are several resources on campus to help you get started if you want to give back to the community, including the Center for Community Engagement.

CNU Center for Student Engagement

4. Religious Organizations

CNU has a variety of religion-based organizations that dedicate themselves to creating a safe and comfortable environment to practice their beliefs. Check out CNU Cru which meets every Wednesday in the Pope Chapel!

CNU Cru

5. Academic Clubs!

Is it a major or minor? Chances are there is a club for that major or minor, not to mention probably also an honor society. If you are very passionate about your major or your minor, then these clubs might be perfect for you! Also, what’s great about these is that you don’t necessarily have to be majoring/minoring in the subject for many of them! 

Alpha Psi Omega-Theatre Honor Fraternity

6. Club Sports!

If you love sports, but aren’t on one of the CNU varsity teams, club sports are a great way to keep playing your favorite sport or even to stay in shape. Check when there are tryouts, and some may even be walk-on teams!

CNU Men’s Volleyball

7. Specialized Clubs!

This pretty much just includes everything else! There are clubs at this school for lots of random things that students are passionate about.

CNU Spectrum

Potterwatch @CNU

Don’t freak out if you haven’t gotten involved yet! The opportunities listed here are just a handful of what is offered here at CNU! If you are still having trouble, there are several resources on campus to help get you involved. The Office of Student Activities is a great place to start or you can even just go online and look at The Compass. The Student Engagement Fellows are also an excellent resourse. Even just keeping an eye on the Franklin Council emails can help you get involved or even just looking at the flyers and posters around campus. Getting involved can be challenging, but there are so many resources on campus to help you, so don’t feel overwhelmed! Campus involvement is one of the things that makes CNU great, so get out there and show us what you’ve got!

Sadie is a senior at Christopher Newport University with a major in Communication Studies and a double minor in English Literature and Theatre. Sadie is the Social Media Director and Instagram Admin. of the CNU chapter of HerCampus, the Vice President of Take Note a Cappella, the Treasurer of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity, and Secretary of Lambda Pi Eta Communications Honor Society. Sadie enjoys singing, justice, Harry Potter, Netflix, rhetoric, hanging out with her Squad at home and her Clique at school, Mexican Food, and a good GIF.