The Chronicles of Being a Broke College Student As Told By GIFs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

1. You get to college and you think everything will be fine. 

2. When you get a job, you feel like a responsible adult. You’ll have tons of spending money.

3. But then you see how much taxes actually take out of your paycheck :(

4. You can’t believe how much more you thought you were going to be making.

5. So you take advantage of things like pieces of fruit in the dining halls and free samples whenever possible. 

6. You even go to events just because you know there will be pizza.

7. When your friends want to go out to dinner, you’re still reluctant to treat yourself.

8. You start looking in the couch cushions in hopes of finding enough change to actually use.

9. When someone gets a card or a care package from their parents, you’re just like…

10. But when your parents visit and offer to take you shopping, you’ve got your list. 

11. You love checking your mailbox to look for holiday and birthday cards from family members.

12. Every now and then you start to think about your student loans. Not to mention the price of grad school.

13. But then you get your tax return back and you’re all like:

It’ll be fine. For now. 

Megan Bridgewater is a junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Accounting with a minor in Leadership Studies. She's involved in Greek Life and the President's Leadership Program. In her free time, she likes taking Buzzfeed quizzes and mourning Zayn's exit from One Direction.