This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

This week we asked our CNU Her Campus members about something from their childhood that feels nostalgic. They were asked to tell us about something they miss from their childhood and would like to see made popular again today. Here’s what they had to say!

Naps

Alauni “Honestly, mandatory nap times. I remember my Pre-K/Kindergarten teacher telling us to lay down on our blankets and I personally never listened. Now, as an exhausted college student, a moment to take a good nap in the middle of the day would be so nice.”

Playing Outside

Chaeli “the most nostalgic thing I miss is playing outside. There is a level of comfort when i used see a familiar friend playing out the window and the innocence of asking my mom if I can join them. She would feel comforted that I was safe where I was because I had a community of other kids to play with. I miss water gun fights and snow ball fights. I miss being able to go to the local playground and being certain that there would always be someone there. I miss the simplicity of randomly enjoying my neighbor’s family barbecue and them treating me like I am one of their own.”

Fireflies

Gabby “I would have to say something that I used to do as a kid that I never took the time to appreciate is sitting outside and watching fireflies during the summer. Now being older and busy with the rush of everyday life, it can sometimes be taken for granted and not paid attention to. And I think the beauty in nature, not just by watching fireflies, but even sitting on the beach or walking on a trail, reminds us to slow down and appreciate the small things.”

PBS

Tiffany “This is going to sound so nerdy, but I wish PBS brought back the educational shows like Reading Rainbow and Between the Lions! I was pretty sad when I learned that they stopped production on shows like these because these shows were so funny and really motivated me to read and visit my local libraries.”

School Yard Trends

Sierra “I always think about how much cooler life would be if we brought back schoolyard trading trends. Trading cards, Silly Bandz, friendship bracelets– we had so many micro currencies as kids that not only made owning special items exciting, but it also gave everyone an easy way to make new friends. As adults, it’d be fun to carry around crystals, pins, or homemade bracelets with the hopes of meeting someone in your day-to-day life to trade with.”

Peace Sign Crop Top Beach Bracelets Necklace Blonde Hair Torso Tropical
Molly Longest / Her Campus

Orbeez

Abigail “I think we should bring back orbeez. I know they’re used a lot in ASMR or satisfactory videos, but we need to bring back the time where we actually took the patience and work to grow our own orbeez and play with them ourselves. What happened to the orbeez spa kit? What happened to orbeez summer fun? It was so satisfying squeezing the really big orbeez and smushing them into rubbery goodness. Let’s get more hands-on and let’s bring back orbeez.”

Yogos

Brooke “This is such a specific vivid memory of elementary school shenanigans at lunchtime: eating strawberry flavored Yogos, little sugary yogurt balls in a plastic packet, and accidentally dropping them on the dusty floor, just watching them roll under the tables across the cafeteria. We should bring back Yogos (or in a zoomed out perspective, fun childhood snacks) back into our diet.”

Chobani Greek Yogurt
Alex Frank / Spoon

Silly Bands

Claire “Silly Bands. I remember I used to spend ALL my money on them and wear them all the way to my elbows. I think I still have my collection to this day. Personally I love how versatile they were and they always had themes to go with holidays.”

Girl With Peace Pigtails Sign Back
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Allison is a Junior at Christopher Newport University, studying Psychology and Leadership Studies. She enjoys reading, writing poetry, and listening to Alt Rock music. Find her on insta @allibryan
CNU Freshman Class of 2026 Major: Cellular, Molecular, & Physiological Biology Minor: Leadership PLP & MAPS Loves writing, traveling, and being a goofball 🫶🏾
Marvel. Hot Sauce. Club Sports. Chaeli is a first-gen college kid looking to find her voice on campus. She is a double major in Criminology and Anthropology in the Class of '25 at Christopher Newport University. She is hoping to explore more of the criminal justice field in law school or become an then eventually become an anthropologist full time.
Gabby is a senior at Christopher Newport University and is double majoring in Spanish and Global Studies, with a minor in Business Administration. Some of her favorite things to do in her free time are reading, spending time at the beach, and taking photos of literally everything.
Sierra is a 2023 alumna and former president of the Her Campus at Christopher Newport University chapter. She primarily covers topics surrounding mental health and personal growth, sometimes dabbling in the analysis of cultural trends and fashion, as well. Sierra received a B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Childhood Studies, and is currently working towards completing her Master’s in Speech-Language Pathology. In addition to writing for Her Campus, her work has also been featured in The Cupola, CNU’s undergraduate research journal. In her free time, Sierra loves thrift shopping, going on Target runs, and caring for her many plants.
Tiffany's a senior studying psychology with a double minor. On campus, she's a part of Student Honor Council and the Student Sustainability Commission. In her free time, she's usually trying new food places with friends, cooking, or hitting the gym! You can check her out on Instagram @tiffy_ni
Claire is a Sophomore at Christopher Newport University. She is majoring in German and Communications and minoring in Leadership Studies. On campus, she takes part in the Campus Activities Board, the Captain's Log, HerCampus, and is a Leadership Ambassador. In her free time, she enjoys painting, reading, hanging with friends, working out, and journaling.
21 yr old Virgo writer at Christopher Newport University. Big feminist. Coffee ice cream enthusiast. Communication Major.