Chester Porter ’16: One Cool Cat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Photo Credit: Clanci Conover

Name: Chester David Porter, IV

Year: Senior

Major: Business Management

Relationship Status: Single and ready to mingleee

Celebrity Crush: Norah Jones… Definitely.

Spirit Animal: “Mmm I don’t know… a possum?” *insert adorable chuckle*

How are you involved on campus? “Ha, good question. I am the Farmer’s Market Chairman, I am the Virginia Student Environmental Coalition Representative for this area, an event staff supervisor, and do I do anything else? … Not really… But I have a passion for making this school better while I’m here.”

I love the Farmer’s Market! Do you have anything interesting coming in the future with it that you can tell me about? “Yes, we have plans for hopefully setting up a night market which would basically be a rave party with student vendors, DJ’s, and flow toys. I want it to be an actually fun school-sponsored event. Something that people can really enjoy and know that they are still helping out their school in the process.”

Photo Credit: Taylor Jackson

Nice, I can dig it…What kind of music do you generally listen to? “Everything but country. That’s so general though. Let’s go by genre then: Jam, Funk, Classic Rock, Rap, some EDM… the good stuff.”

Do you ever go to any shows? “All of the time… I mean, music is life… Music is the best, and experiences are what I thrive on. So, yes.”

What has been your favorite show of this season? “I have to say Phish. That was my “end all” and I had an absolute blast with a bunch of really good people.”

If you had to pick one and only one song to listen to for the rest of your life, what would it be? “I’d go for a Phish song; I would say “Divided Sky” by Trey Anastasio and The Scorchio Quintet. It’s an orchestral piece with a bunch of different sections, and it might just be the most beautiful piece of music ever composed.”

What’s your favorite quote? “I don’t know if it’s my favorite quote but I like it the best right now, so I guess it is my favorite for the moment. “Change is the only constant.” I have no idea who said it though. It just always applies.”

Any last note that you want to leave the world? “Life is what you make it, so make it a good one.”

Mikayla is currently a sophomore at Christopher Newport University where she has yet to decided whether to Major in Sociology or Studio Art. While at school, she enjoys spending time with her friends, painting, and creating way too many melted crayon projects. When she is at home, she loves watching Frozen on repeat with her little sisters. Although she has yet to study abroad, Mikayla desires to go anywhere and everywhere in the world.