This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Valentine’s Day can be a somewhat controversial holiday. Some label it as nothing more than an excuse for big corporations to sell more candy and flowers. Those who don’t have significant others to celebrate often find the holiday to be an unpleasant reminder of the romance they lack in their lives. As a single person myself, it’s been hard not to feel bitter when I walk by the gaudy displays of giant bouquets, teddy bears, and heart shaped boxes of chocolate in every grocery store. However, I want to remind myself and others that there are many different types of love that are just as real and important as romantic love, and certainly just as worthwhile to celebrate this Valentine’s Day.

courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Familial love is something I’ve always been able to rely on. I am very grateful to have the unconditional love of my parents and siblings, and always having them to come home to is such a blessing. When I was little, my little brother, my mom and I would get visited by the “Valentine’s Fairy” every year. My dad always left us our favorite types of candy, stuffed animals, and cheesy cards for us to find on the kitchen island when we came downstairs in the morning. The most memorable visit from the Valentine’s Fairy was a pink gorilla stuffed toy holding a red heart, along with a box full of KitKats, my favorite candy. This year, I plan to show my gratitude to my dad and the rest of my family by getting them their favorite sweet treats.

I also want to celebrate platonic love this Valentine’s Day. I don’t know what I would’ve done this past year if it weren’t for my closest friends. They make the hard times easier and make the good times even more enjoyable. My friends never fail to brighten my day, make me laugh, or give me a shoulder to cry on. To show them my gratitude, I’m looking forward to buying them plushies and making Valentine’s crafts together.                                            

Lastly, I want to celebrate my pets this Valentine’s Day. I have two dogs and a cat at home, and nothing makes me happier than being greeted by their ecstatic barks and frantically wagging tails as soon as I open the door. My cat, while she doesn’t show her affection as enthusiastically, always curls up next to me when I’m sitting on the couch, and generously helps me with my schoolwork by sitting on my papers while I’m trying to write. I plan to gift my dogs new chew toys, and my cat a bundle of catnip.

Whether you have a significant other this Valentine’s, you can still have a great time celebrating love of all kinds. Valentine’s can be a day to just have fun with crafts and sweets. You can also take the time to show your gratitude to your family, friends, and pets. You can brighten the day of all your loved ones and make memories to cherish for years to come.

I am a freshman at Christopher Newport University. I am on my chapter's writing team. I love using writing and visual art to express myself and connect with others. I also love being in a club that promotes creativity and gives me the chance to be a part of a community. I plan to double major in Fine Arts with a focus in 2D design and Education. I also plan to minor in Spanish. I work as a Sunday school teacher / daycare worker at my family's church on the weekends. I have a passion for working with children, and I would like to be an elementary school art teacher after I graduate college. I also love animals and enjoying taking care of all kinds of critters. I have two dogs and a cat at home, and I've done pet sitting for dogs, cats, rabbits, lizards, and fish. I hope to own land one day and have a little sanctuary for animals of all kinds. Some of my personal interests include playing video games (Minecraft is my favorite), doing my makeup and nails, and personality tests (I'm an INFP 9w1). I also love going on nature walks and going to the movie theater with my closest friends.