This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.
Name: Art Ross

Year: Senior 

Major: Communication Studies

Hometown: Haymarket, Va.

Why did you choose CNU?

“I chose CNU for the family-love and focus on community. The beauty of the campus and strong academics were also an important factor.”

What are you involved in at CNU?

“CRU, CNU Improv Club, and Alpha Phi Alpha.”

Tell us how Alpha Phi Alpha has impacted you.

“Whew, Alpha… I love it. Crossing Alpha is right behind meeting Jesus as the coolest thing that has ever happened to me. The rewards of my experience are vast and I’m always learning. In Alpha I’ve become more aware of my own cultural identity (white people have cultural identity too!), received a chapter full of brothers who truly inspire me, and discovered that I have a massive heart for racial reconciliation.”

What are you involved in outside of CNU in terms of community engagement?

“Not much. Quite a few of our service programs in Alpha take place outside of school but I don’t do anything in addition to those.”

What are your career goals?

“Myself and a dear friend, Graham McNeely, are starting a business. It’s a men’s fashion company that will specialize in blazers/jackets & trousers/pants that you can pair and complement. No name yet, we’ll keep you posted.”

Who has been the most influential person in your life and why?

“MY MAN Jesus Christ. He died for me, takes me from myself, and pulls me to a bigger story. It’s great.”

Which professor at CNU has been your favorite and why?

“Dr. Falk – History. The man is incredible; he’s a wealth of wisdom, a PowerPoint maestro, and a world class impression artist. Dr. Falk teaches American history from unconventional angles that stretch and expand my understanding of the country in enjoyable ways. Highly recommended!”

Do you have a most awkward moment at CNU? 

“Freshman year, I’m signing into my residence hall on the first day and I’m offered a pen with a cap on it to sign some papers. Naturally, I start to take the pen cap off. It’s a little stubborn though, so I pull harder. And harder… and harder. Next thing I know the pen explodes everywhere and I’m feeling very incompetent. Turns out all I had to do was twist the pen and the point would have come up but I missed that talk over Setting Sail, so I think I can be excused. In my defense, the pen design is very misleading.”

What would be your ideal date?

“Well, the ideal would change as a relationship developed, but an ideal first date is low stakes, physically active (sledding, hiking, jetskiing, etc.), and has us make something (a meal, a sculpture, a song…).”

Do you have any words of wisdom for your fellow Captains?

“Yes, three pieces:
1) CNU and the 7-5 are beautiful; enjoy them.
2) There are many secret places at CNU; find them.
3) There are many opportunities for you here; ask for them.”

What is something that you would like people to know about you?

“My name, Arthur, means “Bear King.” Isn’t that cool?!”

CNU '17, Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Trebled Youth A Cappella, Taylor Swift and Mary-Kate Hovanic are my Spirit Animals, 'Merica