This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

It’s empowerment week time and so I listed a bunch of my personal favorite empowering female characters. They range from film to tv and I love each and every  one of them. 

Lydia Martin

Lydia Martin was not one of my favorites when I first started watching Teen Wolf. She was annoying and I didn’t get why everyone praised her. Then seasons began to go by and I saw her as she really was – an incredibly smart character who kind of holds everyone together and always looks fashionable doing it. (You can find her on the tv show Teen Wolf). 

Scarlet Witch 

Despite what happened to her in Infinity War, Scarlet Witch is arguably my favorite Avenger. She’s fearless and smart and has been through so much in her life. She’s incredibly strong with her powers and I only wish that the MCU showed her true potential. (You can find her in the MCU).

Clarissa Fairchild

Oh, Clarissa Fairchild. You have like three different names and I’m still not sure what to refer to you as, but I like this one best. Clary is thrust into a world that she knows nothing about and then manages to change the very structure of that world which is just really cool. Clary, you may make some super dumb decisions, but you are also really strong and care far more about people than most people do. (You can find her in Cassandra Clare’s The Mortal Instruments or the tv show ​Shadowhunters). 

Nomi Marks

Nomi Marks is a trans hacker which is cool descriptor all in itself. Additionally, she is also played by a trans actor, which is a bonus. Nomi has been through a lot of strife in her life and also deals with all the craziness in her life that occurs in the show with a lot of grace and excellence. I miss this character a lot, as she is no longer on tv. (You can find her on the tv show Sense8, on Netflix). 

Daenerys Targaryen

The mother of dragons, Khaleesi of the sea, first of her name…that’s only a couple of the titles that are associated with Daenerys. Despite having a very complicated name to spell, she remains iconic and beautiful and never let a single man (or person) get in the way of what she wants. Through all of her trials and tribulations, she keeps faith in herself and that is truly admirable. (You can find her on the tv show Game of Thrones, on HBO). 

Rosa Diaz

Rosa Diaz is truly the strongest woman on this last. She is never far from a weapon and has an incredible wit to match. She is also bisexual and just had her girlfriend appear on the show. She is fierce and loyal and Rosa is not someone you want on your bad side. (You can find her on the tv show Brooklyn Nine-Nine.)

Fiona Gallagher 

Fiona Gallagher can truly do it all. Raise children? You got it. Work three jobs? Also done. Have a relationship? Yes. All at the same time? Yeah. She’s a supermom without actually being a supermom and should truly get all the credit for all the stuff she’s been through. (You can find her on the tv show Shameless).

I hope you enjoyed my list! Did I include your favorite character? Let me know in the comments below!

Hello, my name is Isabella and I am a 22-year-old senior. I'm a psychology major and women & gender studies and writing minor. I have an intense love for cats, social justice, feminism, and fandom life [name a fandom, I'm probably in it]. I'm a huge book nerd as well as a huge just, regular, nerd. You can find me sitting in my bed typing an article, procrastinating homework, or watching YouTube.