Style

5 Tips for Thrift Store Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

I’ve always loved thrifting. It’s the perfect place to spend an afternoon, and some of the greatest finds I’ve ever found were at a thrift store. From Burberry sweaters to Sam Edleman sandals, the thrift store has it all; however, those finds didn’t come without some work and searching. Here’s some of my tips for finding some treasures at the thrift store.

1. Go in the middle of the week.

I love going out on a Saturday moring with a large coffee for a shopping spree. But if you’re looking for something unique, try going mid-week. You’ll have first dibs on the weekly restock, and depending on the time, it’ll be much less busy. You’ll have the store to yourself, which is always a nice thing when shopping.

2. Go with an open mind… but a set budget.

Thanks to Pinterest, I’m constantly adding to my list of items I’d love to buy to “complete” my closet. Anytime I visit the thrift store, I’ll keep the list in mind, but make my budget priority. If I can only spend $20, I have to prioritze the items I buy a bit more than I’d like. I’ll always pick a great piece I’ve been dying to find over a bunch of pieces I’ve sort of love.

3. Try repurposing things to make them new.

Want a trendy denim jacket with patches? Thrift the plain jacket, and buy some cool patches off Etsy, or from your local craft store! Need a new pair of denim shorts for summer? Get those baggy jeans from the thrift store, and cut them to your perfect length! You can always bring in/out hemlines. So, if you find a piece you love that doesn’t fit just right, bring it to a tailor. I can almost guarantee the cost of thrift + tailoring will be less expensive than buying new.

4. Try things on!

If it’s a good day, I look like a madwoman picking items off the thrift rack. Before you buy, be sure to try things on, and be sure it’s what you’re looking for. Remember, most thrift stores won’t have a return policy. Even if the items fit perfectly, double checking can save you some bucks in the long run.

5. Shop off season.

While some thrift stores rotate their clothing by season, others will keep some sections that are out of season. Because these racks aren’t getting attention, it can be the best time to find some great treasures. Plus, these items usually have a MONDO discount, which can save you even more money.

Do you have any thrift store hacks? Let me know in the comments below!

English Major at Christopher Newport University || Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus @ CNU | Obstinate, headstrong girl | curly hair, don't care | Jesus & coffee & Jesus | insta:_thejewels Email: julianna.gonzalez.15@cnu.edu