This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Hello, readers! It’s that time of year again – it’s the beginning of the school year. It’s time to go to class, study and be mortified about finals. Except for some readers, it’ll be your first time doing so. Before, it was high school which was not all that different from middle school. College is a whole other ball game. If you’re nervous about what to do to make sure your freshman year is successful, look no further than this article! I’ll be including three of the tips that I needed most for my freshman year and passing my junior-year wisdom down to freshmen.

Have a Planner (And make it physical)

Now, I know planners seem like a no brainer. It’s a very common tip to incoming freshmen. However, in this day and age with technology, you may be tempted to use a physical planner. Don’t. “But, author!” You say, “I lose things easily and google calendar is convenient!” I lose stuff all the time too and google calendar is convenient. That being said, writing things down making things stick into your brain. It is much easier to comprehend your assignments and whatever obligations you have if you see it all in front of you in a planner. 

Make College Friends!

I know, another cliche but I mean this one genuinely, too. I came in with three people I knew personally and those three people I considered my best friends. Two of them I’m still friends with but one of them I am not. While it was useful to have familiarity at my college, in hindsight, it restricted me from meeting new people because I felt I didn’t need to. The friends I have made that are college-specific though? I feel like I’ll have them for a while.

Know Your Limits

The biggest thing I’ve gotten out of college so far? I’ve learned what my personal limits are and when I’ve piled too much on my plate. Don’t sign yourself up for every club, organization and research opportunity. Take a couple of deep breaths and figure out what interests you the most and do those things. If you sign yourself up for everything, you’ll likely get overwhelmed. Plus, if you do feel overwhelmed? Take a break and breathe. Go to your club presidents, professors, or coaches and explain to them what’s going on. More than likely, they’ll figure out how to help you and set your footing back on solid ground. And if they don’t? Don’t be afraid to take time for yourself. You’re worth it. 

Now, while these tips might be simple, they were really important for me my freshmen year. It helped me figure out what I wanted my college experience to be and led me to have both a successful freshman year but sophomore as well. To every incoming freshman, I wish you so much luck!

Hello, my name is Isabella and I am a 22-year-old senior. I'm a psychology major and women & gender studies and writing minor. I have an intense love for cats, social justice, feminism, and fandom life [name a fandom, I'm probably in it]. I'm a huge book nerd as well as a huge just, regular, nerd. You can find me sitting in my bed typing an article, procrastinating homework, or watching YouTube.