This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

As the leaves take on their fiery hues and the air turns crisp, I find myself drawn back to the warmth of my kitchen, where the rich aromas of fall cooking promise comfort and nostalgia. There’s something truly magical about this time of year, when the simple act of preparing a meal feels like a heartfelt embrace. The recipes I’m about to share are more than just instructions on a page; they are cherished narratives of my family’s history, passed down through generations like well-worn tales. Each dish, steeped in tradition and seasoned with memories, is a testament to the timeless connection food has to our sense of home and heritage. From the tender, earthy sweetness of our heirloom pumpkin pie to the robust, savory depths of the thyme-scented stew, these are the flavors that call me back to a table surrounded by the faces I hold dear, infusing every bite with the homely comfort only family recipes can provide.

Pumpkin Cake with Yellow Cake Mix Topping

Embrace the cozy flavors of fall with this delightful pumpkin cake, topped with a crispy, buttery yellow cake mix crust. Infused with warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, this dessert is a delightful blend of creamy pumpkin filling and crunchy topping. It’s the perfect ending to a chilly autumn day and pairs exceptionally well with a dollop of whipped cream. Whether you’re serving it at a family gathering or simply indulging on a quiet evening, this cake promises comfort in every bite.

Ingredients

• 3 large eggs
  • 1 large can pumpkin
  • 1 ¼ cups sugar
  • 1 12oz. can evaporated milk
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • ½ tsp ginger
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 2 sticks butter

Process

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, sugar, evaporated milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
  3. Pour the mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
  4. Evenly spread the dry yellow cake mix over the pumpkin mixture in the baking dish.
  5. In a small saucepan or in the microwave, melt the 2 sticks of butter.
  6. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top of the dry cake mix.
  7. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
  8. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
  9. Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!

Pop’s Chipped Beef Over Toast or Rice

Dive into a timeless family recipe with Pop’s Chipped Beef. Rooted in tradition, this savory dish combines dried beef with a rich cheddar sauce, elevated by hints of mustard and Worcestershire. Perfected by my grandfather (Pop) and served through generations. Traditionally served over toast, our family often ate it over rice, I suspect my grandma added that twist!

Ingredients

• 1 pkg dried beef
• Butter
• 3 TBS flour
• Milk
• Cheddar cheese
• 2 TBS Dijon mustard (or to taste)
• Worcestershire sauce (to taste)

ProceSS

1. Fill a skillet halfway with water and heat. Once warm, remove the dried beef from its packaging, separate the slices, and add them to the water.
  2. Bring the beef and water to a boil. Once boiling, drain and discard the water.
  3. Add butter to the skillet and fry the beef until the edges begin to curl.
  4. Sprinkle the beef with 3 TBS of flour, stirring continuously until the beef is evenly coated and the butter is absorbed. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
  5. Pour milk into the skillet, just enough to cover the beef, and warm the mixture over medium-high heat.
  6. As the sauce begins to thicken, stir in the cheddar cheese until it’s completely melted.
  7. Season with Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce, adjusting to taste.
  8. Serve traditionally over toast or, for a delightful twist, over rice.

Enjoy this classic dish and the rich history it carries with each serving.

Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel

Savor the hearty flavors of this sweet potato casserole, which is enhanced by a crispy pecan streusel on top. A hint of vanilla and cinnamon strengthen the creamy interior, which contrasts beautifully with the crunchy, nutty topping. This dish is ideal for any occasion that calls for a comforting side dish, such as family get-togethers or holidays.

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1/4 cup stick margarine, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and halved (about 2 1/2 pounds)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 (5-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
  • Cooking spray

Process

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
  2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, toasted pecans, melted margarine, and cinnamon. Stir the mixture to form a streusel. Set it aside for later use.
  3. Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and add enough water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot, reduce the heat, and let the potatoes simmer for about 30 minutes or until they are very tender.
  4. After the potatoes are cooked, drain them well and transfer to a large bowl. Mash the sweet potatoes until smooth.
  5. Stir in 1 cup of the prepared streusel, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, egg white, and evaporated milk into the mashed potatoes. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
  6. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the dish.
  7. Evenly sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top of the sweet potato mixture.
  8. Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the casserole is heated through.

Serve this delightful sweet potato casserole as a side and enjoy the harmonious blend of flavors and textures.

The kitchen is still my haven and the center of our house, even as the days get shorter, and the nights get colder. These recipes serve as a link between the past and the present and preserve the spirit of home because they are filled with the warmth of my family’s love and the rich tapestry of our shared history. Just as these dishes across generations have filled our kitchens with countless early autumn comforts and given us a sense of belonging, may they also fill your hearts.

Cooper Lebor is a student at CNU, he is majoring in computer science. His life goal is to be a billionaire.