10 Promises You Make at the Beginning of the Semester (That You Know You Won’t Keep)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Well, Captains, we’re officially three weeks into the new semester. Syllabus week is a distant memory, and you’re finally starting to remember what life as a college student is really like. Although coming back from the glory of summer vacation is hard, at this point, you’re still in the motivated phase of the semester where you feel like you can take on the world! You’ve probably put a plan into action for how this semester is going to go down, and you’re ready to accomplish anything you put your mind to. With that, here are 10 promises we all make ourselves at the beginning of the semester… that we know we won’t keep!

1. You’ll do ALL of the readings.

All of them. Because you’re a brilliant, motivated, academic student.

2. You’re going to put on “real clothes” every day before your morning classes.

If the sweatpants are nice enough, they absolutely count as dressing up. Right?

3. You’re actually going to make a gym schedule.

On second thought… maybe the walk to the gym was enough exercise for the day.

4. You’re going to participate in every class.

At the very least, your participation grade is going to be impeccable this semester.

5. You’re not going to procrastinate.

Make a plan to complete every assignment the day it’s assigned. Start executing that plan tomorrow.

6. You’re not going to touch the dessert table.

No matter how tempting that peanut butter pie is…

7. You’ll go to bed earlier.

And with that…

8. You’ll wake up earlier.

Becuase mornings are GOOD… Not Evil. 

9. You’re not going to skip a single class.

Even that 8 a.m. with the professor that doesn’t take attendence. Because knowlege is important.

10. You’ll push Netflix aside and focus on homework.

Ehhhh… Maybe later.

Victoria is a sophomore at Christopher Newport University, and she's studying English with minors in Spanish and Leadership Studies. A few important facts about her are:     1. She has an unhealthy addiction to jelly beans     2. If it were socially acceptable to wear a tiara every day, she absolutely would.     3. She basically survives on sweet tea and donuts     4. She's obsessed with Sherlock Holmes and Edgar Allen Poe     5. She 100% wishes that Peter Pan was a real guyWhen she's not in class or writing for Her Campus, Victoria is probably dancing in her room, singing Disney songs, or blogging to avoid doing her homework. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @V_ThatBeMe!