10 Books to Read Before You Graduate: Romance Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Do you love romance movies? Do you feel yourself tearing up when watching a video about an old couple that’s been married for 75 years? You’re not alone! Rather than stare at a screen for two hours or watch way too many videos on Facebook, try picking up a book! Whether you’re an avid reader or not, you’ll enjoy the vast literary realms and complex characters that authors spend years creating for the public. To get you started on your romance novel binge, I’ve compiled a handy list for you here: top ten romance books to read before you graduate.

10. The Mediator – Meg Cabot

One of Meg Cabot’s lesser-known works, The Mediator, follows Suze, a teenage girl who sees, fights, and falls in love with ghosts. 9 books make up this unique romance-mystery series.

9. All American Girl – Meg Cabot

Another Meg Cabot book, All American Girl, follows Sam, an awkward high schooler who accidentally becomes America’s hero. Bonus: it’s a series!

8. Stargirl – Jerry Spinelli 

Written by Jerry Spinelli, Stargirl is at once a romantic comedy and a coming-of-age novel. Spinelli’s novel reminds us to celebrate our differences and love blindly.

7. The Notebook – Nicholas Sparks

Perhaps Nicholas Sparks’ most famous work, The Notebook is the love story of contemporary times. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that the movie version features Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams.

6. The Fault in Our Stars – John Green

John Green’s novel is popular for a reason; it’s hilarious and heartbreaking all at once. The book chronicles the heartbreaking romance between Hazel and Gus, reminding us to love as hard as we can, as often as we can.

5. The Princess Bride – William Goldman

Goldman takes the basic plot of love stories and adventure tales, adds a ton of humor, and finishes it off with some of the most iconic lines in modern literature.

4. The Rosie Project – Graeme Simsion

Don Tillman, a clueless-in-love scientist, creates an in-depth questionnaire in order to secure a partner. Who he ends up with, though, is not who he expected at all.

3. Bridget Jones’ Diary – Helen Fielding

Hilariously funny and cringingly awkward Bridget Jones navigates the tricky world of romance in London. Rejoice, Jane Austen lovers, for this is a modern take on Pride & Prejudice!

2. Emma – Jane Austen

Reminiscent of the movie Clueless, Emma embodies wit, social commentary, and love in a twisting tale set in Highbury, England.

1. Pride & Prejudice – Jane Austen

Ahh, the classic. Jane Austen’s sharp tongue and her knack for subtle social commentary make this romance worth a read, a re-read, and a re-re-read.

What are your favorite romance novels to read, Captains? Sound off in the comments! 

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.