10 Books to Read Before You Graduate: Female Author Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Reading is wonderful. But, have we ever stopped to think about how many books are written by men? When we think of our favorite books, aren’t most of them written by men and about men? While of course it’s great to have the male perspective, we need to balance it with the female perspective. To help you along your journey of reading more books by women (and about women!), I’ve compiled a handy list for you here: 10 books written by female authors to read before you graduate.

10. And Then There Were None – Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie, an English mystery writer, writes the story of ten strangers all abandoned in a house on an island, all destined to die at the hands of a secret murderer. Will they discover who the murderer is before it’s too late?

9. Go Ask Alice  – Beatrice Sparks

Beatrice Sparks’ novella cautions teens to stay on the right side of the tracks by following the life of Alice, a teen addicted to drugs and living on the streets. Sparks was a Mormon youth counselor and therapist.

8. The Awakening – Kate Chopin

Chopin’s novel about a married woman’s passionate love affair was negatively received by many at publication, but it is a feminist classic today. 

7. The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath’s semi-autobiographical The Bell Jar details Esther’s experience in a mental hospital. Plath herself committed suicide at age 30 after many failed attempts at publishing this novel in America.

6.  The Diary of a Young Girl – Anne Frank

Anne Frank, a young Jewish girl, kept a diary detailing her time spent hiding with her family in an attic during the Holocaust. 

5. The Penelopiad – Margaret Atwood

A feminist twist on the classic tale of Odysseus, Atwood’s The Penelopiad tells the story of The Odyssey through the eyes of Penelope. 

4. Pride & Prejudice – Jane Austen

Need I even explain? Austen’s novel is the pinnacle of classic romance novels, and it doesn’t hurt that she adds a dash of social commentary in every chapter.

3. The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver

Kingsolver’s masterpiece follows the tale of the Price family as they struggle to make it out of Africa with their faith in God still intact.

2. The Harry Potter series – J.K. Rowling

Again, need I even explain? If you haven’t already read Rowling’s glorious seven novels, please do so now. 

1. The Color Purple – Alice Walker

Walker’s novel follows the lives of two African-American sisters, Nettie and Celie, as they struggle to be seen by the world as strong, independent black women.

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.