Woman Power: Kappa Kappa Gamma Booth Chair Corinne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s that time of year again—the snow has melted (mostly), and the sun is shining (sometimes). Spring carnival is fast approaching. For the members of the many student organizations on campus involved in booth and buggy, carnival not only means sleepless nights and hard work but also the feeling of accomplishment that comes at the end of all that hard work. No one understands these feelings better than the person with the huge task of organizing a group of people to build one of these crazy structures that we call booths. Corinne Kelly, a junior policy and management major, is one of the booth chairs for Kappa Kappa Gamma. She has experienced the long nights and the rewards of building the elaborate, two-story structures.

Corinne has been involved in booth since her freshman year when she joined Kappa Kappa Gamma. This year, she undertook the important role of booth chair. As one of the booth chairs, Corinne plans and designs what the booth will look like. She also has the responsibility of motivating 100 sisters to contribute to the massive project.
Corinne said, “The most challenging part of booth is motivating people to help and being able to put all the pieces together on midway in time for the start of carnival. It takes a lot of sleepless nights and a lot of (wo)manpower to make it all happen and have a successful finished product.”

Despite these challenges, Corinne and everyone else involved always bond in a special way from all the hard work it takes to build a booth. Corinne said that her favorite parts of booth are bonding with all of her sisters, as well as the accomplishment felt when it is completed.?

While she can see the hard work and long hours coming, Corinne is very excited for this year’s booth, which will be unveiled at carnival the weekend of April 20-22. “This year I am most excited to see how booth turns out in comparison to the other organization’s booths,” she said. “It’s always interesting to see what other people come up with given the same tasks.” Kappa Kappa Gamma’s booth theme this year is “It’s a Small World,” based on the popular ride at Disney theme parks. The theme fits within the overall theme of 2012 Spring Carnival, “As Seen on TV.” Kappa Kappa Gamma previously earned second place for an Ice Age themed booth, and Corinne hopes to keep up the good record.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports. 
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.