Unpaid Internships No More! How to negotiate your way to a more VALUABLE summer internship!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s finally April, good weather is becoming more frequent and internship offers are finally arriving. What happens, though, when you get that coveted offer – you’ve beat out the competition to land a dream internship for the summer months – but you can’t afford housing, or even eating anything but ramen, on intern’s pay? Interns are generally placed at the bottom of the ladder in firms, designated to menial tasks and coffee runs with benefits promised to come later. What rights do we have to make our summer job worth it? Can interns appeal for more pay?

Absolutely. We negotiate in all other aspects of our lives, whether with friends, family, or teachers. Why shouldn’t we feel comfortable approaching a potential employer, too? Although this must be done with care and tact, interns absolutely have the right to negotiate their pay – we all have needs, and experience, unfortunately, doesn’t actually pay the rent. 

So, how should you approach an employer about raising your salary? Here are a few steps to guide your conversation. Remember, however, that all companies are different. Before using the tips listed below, consider your own situation first. 

1. Begin the conversation by emphasizing your excitement to have been extended an offer and your readiness to contribute great work and learn much. It is always smart to start with the positive. Beginning with an explicit statement about your interest in the internship will create a smoother transition to the issue of salary. This will also help you feel less anxious as the conversation progresses because it was opened on a light and positive note. 

2. In choosing what to say or what price increase you desire, consider whether the company already has an established internship program. Companies with this may be less willing to negotiate because they have had successful college interns in the past who accepted this rate of pay. If dealing with a company like this, it may be important to bring personal factors into the conversation in order to show why you are seeking different accommodations. 

3. Use any past salary or lack of salary as evidence for why you may need more in this position. Many companies use line-item budgets to establish and track costs. If you can create your own budget, with expected costs for the summer and the long and short term impact, the company may be more sympathetic. 

4.  Connect the budget to the actual internship and explain why these costs matter. It would be best to assure the employer that this change in pay will improve the value of the internship for both you and the company. This could be factors such as transportation (i.e. I have no money to have a car with me, so I will be using public transportation, but this will make me consistently late), though there are infinite other possible situations.

5. Allow the employer to leave with the upper hand. In the end, you are the intern and they are the employer. Be ready to end the conversation as you began it, stating how incredible the offer is and how excited you are for the opportunity, regardless of how the conversation plays out. 

Finally, remember to have confidence. You have been extended a job offer, and asking for more pay is not going to change this. The company wants you. So be strong and clear in your requests, but respectful and humble as well. Companies value their interns as much as interns value the experience. Have an open mind, and perhaps you will be surprised. It is always worth it to just ask. 

Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.