Top 10 Christmas Movies to Watch This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

There are many traditions for families to follow around the Christmas season. For some, it’s decorating together and for others, it could be the contents of the Christmas dinner. For my family, our best tradition is watching Christmas movies all day together. Here are some of my favorite movies we have watched that I would like to recommend to you for the holiday season.

1. Elf

Buddy was transported to the North Pole and raised as one of Santa’s elves into adulthood. Once an adult, Buddy traveled to New York to look for his real father, who is a cynical business man. In an attempt to connect with his dad, many crazy shenanigans ensue. This is a hilarious but heart touching movie that I think many people will enjoy.

1. Home Alone series

This is a fun series based around children being left ‘home alone’ for the holidays and their fight to defend themselves and their home from really bad burglars and criminals. I don’t mean bad as in evil and diabolical, but that these criminals really suck at being criminals. But that is just my opinion, either way these are really good movies that you might like to take a look at.

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

This classic follows the outcasted Grinch as he tries to ruin the Christmas holiday for the town of Whoville. This is a wonderfully movie with many adaptations, my favorite being Jim Carrey as the Grinch. Please check out this story that has been apart of many people’s childhood.

1. Nightmare Before Christmas

Follow Jack Skellington and his escapades through Christmas Town as he tries to discover what is missing from his life. This is one of my favorite movies of all time and I hope you guys will love this movie too.

1. Santa Clause series

This series follows Scott Calvin and how Christmas slowly changes his life and his families. I don’t want to give anything away, but this is a fun movie series that shows great character growth and is a classic to many people.

1. Muppets Christmas Carol

The Muppet version of this Christmas Classic is engaging and hilarious to view. With many good songs, it is no wonder to me why my mom loves this movie.

1. A Wish for Wings That Work

This is an animated movie about a penguin who writes to Santa wishing for ‘working’ wings. This movie, although animated, has more adult humor than child humor in it, but is still a wonderful movie to watch and is another one of my mothers favorites.

1. Disney version of A Christmas Carol

Another adaptation of the classic Charles Dickens novel, this version of A Christmas Carol is another wonderful addition to the Christmas classic that is worth the watch.

1. A Christmas Story

This movie follows young Ralphie as he spends the days leading up to Christmas dodging a local bully and dreaming of the perfect gift. Enjoy this comedic story that gave us the line, ‘You’re going to shoot your eye out’ for those of you who wondered why your parents always said this to you and laughed after.

1. Rocko’s Modern Christmas

This movie is a Christmas special for the Nickelodean show Rocko’s Modern Life. This movie is fun and engaging. It is beloved by many in my family and I think that you guys might enjoy it too.

This is all I have as far as movies go. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, no matter what you celebrate.

I love dogs, and watching anime. I am a fangirl at heart and poetry is one of my passions.