Three Simple Rules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s easy to get stressed, especially with midterms, internships and applications on the line. Sometimes things don’t always go our way, making life even more stressful. If you follow these three rules, though, things may just become a little bit easier.

1. If you do not go after what you want, you will never have it. This applies to everything from scheduling classes to job interviews to getting the last brownie at the Exchange. Having the confidence and determination to look a goal in the eyes and go after it will empower you. Having this inner strength will only help you to attain your goals.

2. If you do not ask, the answer will always be no. There is no such thing as a stupid question. If you believe you need a grade change, ask your professor. The worst they can say is no. Usually, however, people will commend you for asking and showing effort. Asking means that you care and are passionate. So if you have a question, just ask. No one is judging; you are here to learn, after all.

3. If you do not step forward, you will always be in the same place. Take an initiative and do something different. Step out of your comfort zone. If you don’t try new things, life will remain the same. As Carnegie Mellon students, we are blessed with so many opportunities. Look around and take a leap of faith into the unknown–you never know what may await you. 

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.