Staying Normal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s the time of the year again for finals, and we’re all mixed up in the jumble of papers, group projects, and studying for exam after exam.  As deadlines slowly but surely creep up on us throughout the week, it’s incredibly easy to fall into an abyss of not caring for ourselves.  Grades and GPA are usually the only thing on anyone’s mind at this time of the semester; all the work that’s been done in the past four months has finally culminated in this one week and we must – we MUST – make it all worth it.     

But sometimes it’s beneficial to take a step back and make sure you’re still acting like a normal human being.  At a school this difficult, we often place an abnormally high priority on academics while letting other things fall by the wayside.  We might forget to eat, sleep, shower, exercise, or even just stand up and walk around for a while without staring at a computer screen.  It’s pretty crazy how work can truly engulf every aspect of our lives.

So I urge each and every one of you to make sure that you’re caring for yourselves this week, even though it is finals.  Make sure to do your laundry, shave your legs, wash your hair – things a normal girl usually does. You’ll be amazed at how refreshed and rejuvenated you’ll feel. And please also remember that GPA isn’t everything.  This semester, like all the others, will be over in no time. 

Photo source: http://girls4godmagazine.com