Spring Fashion 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Spring is here. That means new styles, accessories, patterns and outfits are dominating runways this season. This year’s spring style may seem a little crazy with its focus on color block, futuristic prints and a wide array of patterns, but with the right choices you can look your best.

Here is a list of the best accessories of Spring 2012, how to wear certain styles, and the top five styles that should dominate your wardrobe.

Accessories

1. Sunglasses

Not just normal ones, either. Be on the lookout for sunglasses with patterns, pastel colors and ones that will boldly frame your eyes. The cat-eye is back!

2. Clutches

Whether you’re going out or spending an afternoon shopping, the clutch is the new purse. It’s small, conveniently holding only what you really need.

3. Color Block Shoes

From heels to flats, color block shoes are in. The colors may not seem like they fit together, but matching these crazy shoes with more neutral color tones will make them look amazing.
[pagebreak]
The Style

1. Flowers

Flowers will be patterned on everything: tops, skirts, dresses, even pants. The trick is to keep the focus on the pattern, so make sure any accessory is subtle.

2. The 1920s

Yes, this honors the age of flappers and the elegant grace of the tumultuous Daisy Buchanan. This flawlessly chic look will be easy to pull of with beautiful dresses, feathers, and classy beading.

3. Sporty

This look is all about layering. Try baggy sweatshirts with tighter fitting shorts or pants. Sneakers and headbands can help to pull off this look, too.

4. Geometric

Here we have more colorblocking. It’s important to balance out this look, so keep accessories to a minimum.
[pagebreak]
The Must-Haves

1. Pastel Anything

Pastels are classic perfect for spring. Pastel colors are the It thing this spring, so make sure you have at least one outfit that matches this taste.

2. A Floral Maxi

Maxi dresses are known for that comfort and flattering fit. Floral patterns are in this season. Put them together and you get these beautiful pieces.

3. A Striped Tee

This hits the geometric style for this spring but is still a classic look that can be dressed up or dressed down.

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.