Maggie Soderholm, Speaker at Last Week’s MLK services

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

There are many ways women at CMU are making an impact, and one such woman, Margaret Soderholm, did just this through her words. This past January 17th, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Maggie spoke to the entire CMU community about MLK, his resounding influence on our society, and how his message is just as valuable today as it was on the day he first spoke it. Maggie is a junior, double major in Ethics History and Public Policy and Statistics. She sat down with me to answer a few questions.  

HC: How were you chosen to speak for MLK day?
Maggie: I saw the application in the Monday Mailer and was intrigued, I filled out an application.  I met with Shernell Smith and Thomas Rainy for a very intense interview, which consisted of a lot of reflective and probing questions.  They asked me about what I would want to be remembered for and what I had done towards that goal. They asked me about race and whether it was relevant, and my thoughts on MLK.  I thought that I did terribly.  I felt so unprepared.  I was expecting a more standard interview, and I left thinking that it was the worst interview of my life.  I got an email a few days later that I was selected!

HC: Congratulations! I think it was well deserved. What role has MLK played in your life?
Maggie: Dr. King has been a hero to me since Kindergarten.  I admire his courage, eloquence, and perseverance.  His impact on my life may seem minimal since he was essentially before my time, but he spoke for people in general, not select groups, and his message was love.  I think that’s something that affects all of us, and something we should all keep in mind.

HC: How has racism or limited perspectives in general affected you?
Maggie: I grew up in Asia – my dad is in the Navy – so over there I’m the unusual one. Local people thought they could stereotype me as an American (rich), a woman (a slut), and white (stupid).  It hurts to have people make assumptions about you, no matter who they are or who you are.  Maybe because of this experience, it bothers me when I see people apply stereotypes to others here.

HC: Wow. That’s incredible that you grew up over there. What other major themes did you incorporate into your speech?
Maggie: I just gave my perspective on MLK and his legacy.  I talked about my grandmother and how her opportunities were so limited, even coming from an upper-class white family, and how much the world has changed since then for the better.  I spoke about how much it angers me to learn about the time when segregation was still a part of American life, and that it bothers me to learn that people were ok with it.

HC: Were you mainly trying to speak to the students, to the professionals, or to the CMU community at large? 
Maggie: I didn’t really think of it like that. MLK is such a personal subject that I really wanted to focus on my words rather than the audience.

HC: How do you feel racism and general cultural awareness are represented and dealt with on campus? 
Maggie: I think we have a great deal of representation from a variety of cultures.  But we do tend to join our clicks based partially on race, and a lot of clubs are based exclusively on race and culture.  Though I don’t that that’s a bad thing necessarily, it does encourage us to grow within our own cultures without exploring any others.

HC: I think that’s very true. It is important for us to not always box ourselves in. Are you in any outreach clubs? Why is it important, you think, for you to maintain engagement with the community?
Maggie: Although I’m involved in a variety of clubs, I’m not sure they’re specifically outreach. However, I’m currently planning a project involving the Hill House, a community development non-profit in the Hill District.  My project would implement a series of workshops on the concept of freedom from various perspectives and encourage political engagement and active citizenship.

HC: That sounds incredible. What is this project with?
Maggie: I’m hoping to implement it if I am accepted as a 5th Year Scholar.

HC: Well good luck with that! One last question, what mark do you hope to leave on CMU? Is this speech your mark?
Maggie:  I believe this speech is just the beginning. Hopefully I can follow-through with the above project. Also, if I can simply encourage other CMU students to leave the campus bubble and venture into the city, I think I would be able to change their perspective on Pittsburgh, the school, and their legacy.

Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.