Lauren Gumbel: One of the Newest Teachers Joining TFA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Lauren Gumbel is a Cognitive Science major, with a minor in Music Theory. After serving as an HOC and being active in her sorority, she is graduating this month! Lauren has accepted a prestigious position with Teach For America and is going to return to her hometown to teach. 

Where will you be participating in Teach For America? 
I will be in Chicago -the  best city in the world.

What will your position with Teach For America entail?
I am going to be a special education teacher for two years in a high-need Chicago school.

What made you want to get involved? 
I have some friends in the program, so I knew a little bit about it.  It was really the service aspect that attracted me to the program; Teach For America is dedicated to providing an excellent education to those in need.  It is an extremely difficult two years, but it’s worth it to help the kids and give back to society.

Do you have any other plans for after graduation? 
After Teach For America, I hope to work for a non-profit organization that helps children with either learning or developmental disorders.  Hopefully I will be able to coach swimming again too!

Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.