Kingsman: Weird, Absurd, Absolutely Brilliant!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

This may be a little late (you most likely missed most of the showings of the movie), but Kingsman: The Secret Service is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The movie starts with the not-so-original story of a young boy having a certain skill set that fits an elite class of ‘spies’. It also has the ‘good spies’ potrayed by Colin Firth and the butler from Batman. However, the movie takes a quick detour when Colin Firth goes on a mass killing spree, with music blaring in the background. Colin Firth’s evil streak and the villain played by an American (Samuel Johnson) tells you this movie is going to be great.

Quickly, the R-rating of the movie, which initially came as a surprise, (why would a movie about a boy stepping into his father’s shoes as a spy and going through training to become a part of the ‘Kingsman’ get an R-rating?) becomes an obvious decision. The weird, to put it mildly, violence in the movie is something truly unique. It makes you squirm but not sick, and is so unrealistic that it can almost never creep you or anything of that sort. It is not exactly gruesome, but unique does not even cover it! Somehow, through it all, you laugh at its absurdity, in a good way of course.

That along with the great music, the brilliant dialogue (which is delivered in a British accent! For the most part…), the absurdity of the villain and the excessiveness of exclusive ‘action’ make the movie a must watch. That along with the star cast and an assembly line of surprises make the movie truly enjoyable.

The story does not go in the direction you expect it to, the characters are not what they seem, or not as stereotypical as they seem, and every time you think the movie is about to wrap up and take the ‘normal’ route, it takes another turn and you cannot help but laugh at the absurdity.

If you are free on a Friday night, or just want to have a good laugh with an intelligent but not too intense movie, Kingsman, is definitely the way to go!

P.S : Don’t leave when the end credits start, there is of course another surprise involving a princess waiting! No actually….just wait!

I am currently senior majoring in Business Administration and Statistics with a track in Finance at Carnegie Mellon University. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Enid Blyton and J.K Rowling are a few of my favorite authors. I also love watching British TV shows (Sherlock is my favorite!). On campus, I am involved in several activities, including Carnegie Mellon Business Association and Smart Woman Securities.
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.