Kayla Lee: Freshman on Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Kayla Lee, a freshman in Dietrich College, is undoubtedly a super star in juggling all her classes, work and club meetings. She came to CMU last fall as a linguistics major hoping to join lots of service clubs on campus and find new interests. She is one of the most genuine people on campus because she absolutely enjoys every moment of everything she does. Amidst all the workload we get here and millions of extracurricular activities we take part in, it’s easy to get lost and question why we are doing what we are doing and why we are studying what we are studying.

Kayla has always been passionate about community service and helping others. Her extracurricular activities back in high school mostly consisted of service, and she truly enjoyed taking the time to volunteer and serve for others. Her passions continued on to college, where she is now the vice president of FORGE. FORGE is an organization at CMU where you get to go to a refugee camp every Saturday and tutor Nepali or Bhutanese families English. Kayla was glad to be able to find and be part of an organization where she could continue to do service for others and do something that genuinely made her happy. Although she is a freshman, everyone in the organization saw her strong enthusiasm and realized she could do a fabulous job leading the club as the vice president.

Kayla has already planned lots of fundraising events for FORGE, and they have been very successful. You can see her genuine love for service and her organization shine through everywhere she goes. She has strong leadership, amazing time management skills and passion for everything she does. While she is still trying new things and figuring things out for herself, she has started her years at CMU on a strong note and already inspired many of her fellow classmates to be as passionate and initiative.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.