Kavya Murthy and Kristen Minno: from Friends to Relay Co-Chairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Last Friday over 100 people gathered on the Cut for Relay for Life. Co-chairs Kavya Murthy and Kristen Minno gave us their take on what it was like to plan such a meaningful and significant fundraiser.

Kavya Murthy and Kristen Minno, both seniors, are roommates, best friends, and luckily were co-chairs together for the Relay for Life Committee. “We’ve always been on the same page so that made getting things done easy–even more so when I could knock on her door at 1am to consult her opinion,” explained Kavya. “Now I can look back on the event as something I helped put together with my best friend.”

Kristen felt the same way when it came to working with Kavya. “I was so fortunate to have Kavya as my co-chair. We were able to split tasks easily and I knew that we trusted each other to work hard because we were both so dedicated to the success of Relay for Life,” explained Kristen. This dedication and great chemistry helped them host a successful event, raising more than $24,000.

Although the event ran smoothly and the event was rain-free, Kristen and Kavya did have some challenges during planning. Relay for Life is a 12-hour event, and enticing people to stay the whole time was difficult. “It was definitely important that we organize activities and entertainment as well as arranging for the appropriate amenities so people would have some sort of incentive,” explained Kavya. “To top it all off all of these details have to come together on the day-of, essentially within the span of a 5-hour setup period, which can get a bit overwhelming.”

So what tips did Kavya and Kristen have for next year’s chairs? “Make sure that you have a good relationship with the committee,” Kristen said. Kavya agreed. “The little intricacies always creep up on you in the weeks before the event and it helps to have a support system that you can count on. This made Relay so much more successful.”

Despite the challenges, Kristen and Kavya both say the outcome was worth it. “The most rewarding part of Relay was when Kavya and I went to greet the survivors who had come to Relay,” Kristen said. “They all thanked us for our hard work in raising awareness and honoring them. I couldn’t believe that they were thanking us for something so small, when they have gone through so much.”

As Relay came to an end the co-chairs were able to see the result of what they had been working toward. “It all felt worth it between the hours of 4 and 6AM,” explained Kavya. “Its when the committee gets a final count on all the money raised and comes back out to see all of the lit luminaria–honoring those who have fought the battle against cancer–lining the track and the handful of people still walking, determined to make it until the end. Hearing the cheers of everyone at closing ceremonies, knowing that we’ve all become just a little bit closer…that’s what makes it worth it.”

Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.