How JWOWW Could Save Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Every Thursday we get to take an hour break from the barren tundra of Pittsburgh, PA and hit the beach, and obviously Club Karma, with our bronzed best friends Snooki, JWOWW, Sammi Sweetheart, Deena, The Situation, Vinny, DJ Pauly D, and Ronnie. Normally, we only get the pleasure of living vicariously through the roommates once a week but now, we can date like its Jersey Shore every day (hopefully with a little less hair gel and Ed Hardy). This week Gawker featured an article reviewing a new book from the infamous Jenni “JWOWW” Farley http://gawker.com/#!5755179/some-sage-dating-advice-from-jersey-shores-jwoww. You may be thinking, “What on earth can JWOWW teach me that is actually relevant to dating a non guido-juicehead?” and at first, I thought the same thing. However, Gawker highlights some of Jenni’s finer points and surprisingly, she’s got some good advice.

Stop Drinking If You Vomit: This may seem pretty obvious but it’s definitely a rule to remember. Depending on your personal college experience, alcohol consumption may have a minimal to major role in your social life. I don’t think you need JWOWW to tell you that you’ve had enough to drink if your date is holding your hair back for you in the bathroom. If you really like someone and get the chance to go out with them, cut back on the booze. Safety issues aside, you’ll be able to gush to your friends all about the way he said, “Hi” without feeling guilty about something you may have said or done. Maybe wait until you know him better to show him that you can shoot tequila like a pro.
You Don’t Need Some Fancy Guy’s Name On Your Ass: If you’ve even watched ten minutes of Jersey Shore you’d know that the outfits are not designer, per se. However, you’ve got to give the girls props for flaunting what they’ve got. Considering that we aren’t in Sea Side Heights cut out graphic t’s and barely-there jorts probably aren’t the signature items in your closet. When you’re going out with someone, just wear something that looks good and makes you feel comfortable. Your date will notice if you keep adjusting your shirt/ dress/ skirt because it’s not laying right. And most likely, he’ll have no idea that you saved two paychecks to buy it. Your outfit doesn’t have to be the most expensive to impress him, just wear whatever helps you look your best.
Reheated Pasta Never Tastes The Same: To say that Carnegie Mellon’s social circle is small would be a drastic understatement. It is difficult to walk from the UC to Doherty without spotting some of your friends. So, with that, the potential for endless college flings and relationships most likely dwindled the second that Orientation ended freshman year. However, for some brief moment in time you may have found Carneige Mellon’s personalized version of “the one.” You stopped seeing/ dating/ hooking up with him for a good reason. Remember that when you feel like there’s no one else around to pursue and you’re itching to send that text. For a change of scenery (and by that I mean a new dating pool) there’s always Pitt!

Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.