How to get the “Oscars” Glow!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Ever wonder how every star at the Oscars always looks so stunning? Each woman’s hair is perfect, the jewelry fantastic, and the dress to die for! Even without a huge spending spree, there are many ways for you to get their looks! Whether it’s for date parties, formals, or other exciting spring events, HC will ensure that you look and feel your best.

Step 1: Drink lots of water! Staying hydrated is incredibly important for your body to function most efficiently. Toxins will be flushed out, while important nutrients stay in. Your complexion will improve, your weight will remain more constant and healthy, and your energy level will escalate. Most experts recommend about 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water per day. 

Step 2: Wash your face and body with a hydrating and exfoliating cleanser! Exfoliation, when done properly, lifts up and removes dead skin cells and other discoloring particles that may be on our skin. By exfoliating and then hydrating, your skin’s true color will emerge, allowing you to be as radiant as ever for your event!

Step 3: Choose your dress carefully! Although it is tempting to follow the fads, it is more important to flatter your own figure. Looking good is always better than looking trendy. 

For those with a bigger bust, Reese Witherspoon’s classic white and black flowing dress is a great way to accentuate the rest of your body. By hiding the chest with the white band, and letting the length and downward angle of the dress lead the eyes to other areas, you’ll look slim and elegant. 

For those with wider hips, a dress like Nicolle Kidman’s or Mila Kunis’ would be fabulous! These dresses have added detail at the waistline that flows right over the hips. The details are a great accentuation on the dress, and disguise this area. 

Step 4: Accentuation! It’s easy to want to go big on all aspects of an outfit, especially for an extremely important event. However, it is important to not overemphasize everything, or nothing will truly stand out. So, if you are going for strong make-up with smoky eyes, try pairing this with minimalist earrings and a heavier necklace. If you are looking for an exciting hairdo, try matching this with striking lips and softer eyes and simpler jewelry. If your dress is extremely bright or detailed, perhaps put your hair up and wear a pair of classic earrings with more natural lips and strong eyes. By emphasizing and deemphasizing different areas, your look will be complete and connected. You’ll steal the show! 

Scarlett Johansson’s soft truffles and nude lips allow her eyes to glow. Her risky dress of magenta lace also works because of this minimalist make-up. 

Anne Hathaway’s pulled back hair works perfectly to show off her bright red lipstick that matches her classy red dress. The understated earrings and necklace help to let the dress and lips rule the outfit.

Step 5: Be confident! As well all know, nothing that we do to our outside can mask who we are inside. So be yourself and be confident! Everyone gets nervous at events or anxious for the party, but remember, every woman is beautiful and strong. We always walk the sidewalks as if on a red carpet. The biggest way to have a great outfit is to have a great outlook! 

Photo Sources:

Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.