Greek Sing Chair Molly Shanley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Who says that you can’t do it all?  Molly Shanley, sophomore Decision Science and Pre Law student, is taking the Carnegie Mellon University Greek community by storm with heavy involvement not only in her own organization, but with the Panhellenic Executive Board and an overall Greek philanthropy event that involves every fraternity and sorority on campus. 

This semester, Shanley’s focus is on a community-wide philanthropy event called Greek Sing in which the Greek community comes together to put on a series of condensed performances of popular musicals in order to raise money for a local organization.  This year, that organization is the Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh. 

“The role of my position as Greek Sing chair is to ensure that everyone works together to reach our goal of $60,000 for The Children’s Institute while putting on great shows.”

Though it may sound like Greek Sing is only a commitment from January to March, Molly and Caroline Flowers (the other overall Greek Sing chair) have been working together since the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year to ensure that this year’s show goes off without a hitch and reaches its goal donation for the Children’s Institute. 

After Greek Sing comes to an end, however, Molly won’t have much time for a break, as her other position as Vice President of Recruitment for the Panhellenic community will pick up significantly.  The Panhellenic Executive Board is comprised of women from all different houses who’s jobs it is to oversee the organization and well-being of the of the six Panhellenic sororities on our campus.  As Vice President of Recruitment, Molly will be in charge of organizing Formal Membership Recruitment for fall 2013, in which hundreds of women will go through the process of finding a home within the Greek community.

“I wanted to be involved in the Greek Community because there’s so much to learn from each and every person within Greek Life. I love all my sisters but working beyond my chapter and with other houses in the Greek Community has taught me many invaluable lessons.  My role as VP of Recruitment is to encourage girls to Go Greek and find their home in a house so that our community can grow and help these women to achieve their full potential in scholarship, philanthropy, leadership, and personal relationships.”

When asked what she will take away most from her leadership positions in Greek Life, Shanley has this to say:

“I’ve really learned the value of communication.  Communication requires honesty, integrity and responsibility and nothing can be accomplished without open communication”