Great Websites for Holiday Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

The holiday season is upon us once again—but so are finals. Online shopping is a convenient alternative to actually going to stores, but there are around a million different shopping sites. Luckily, I’ve spent a lot of time over the years scouring the internet for interesting presents, so now you don’t have to! If you’re agonizing about getting all of your holiday shopping done, look no further. Here’s a list of my favorite places to buy gifts online.

Fredflare.com
Fredflare has a wonderful collection of unique gifts that fit all of your price ranges. From all sorts of bacon-themed items to their mustache-themed brethren, you can find unique, fun gifts that will definitely put a smile on your friend’s face.

My recommendations: The Humungous Plush Heart for your significant other: It’s the perfect amount of cute and nerdy. The Positivity Glass is perfect for that friend who needs a little more cheer in their life. It’s a cup that’s always half full!

ModCloth.com
Founded by a Carnegie Mellon alum, ModCloth is generally known for their Zooey Deschanel-esque clothing, but they actually have lots of cute gift ideas. If you can tear your eyes away from their adorable dresses, take a look in their Accessories and Apartment sections. They have a wide selection of pretty jewelry, novelty books, and apartment decor.

My recommendations: The I Can’t Sleep Journal for the insomniac in your life, and The Sriracha Cookbook for that friend who can’t get enough of that spicy Asian condiment.

Shop.OutofPrintClothing.com
This is the writing major in me coming out, but Out of Print Clothing is pretty much one of the coolest stores ever. They have totes, shirts, and notebooks printed with the artwork of classic novels. Almost everything on this website will appeal to the bibliophiles in your life (just make sure you pick the right book).

My recommendations: I received A Clockwork Orange Tote for Christmas last year—it’s sturdy and perfect for carrying around books. The Great Gatsby Fleece and The Very Hungry Caterpillar T Shirt are other favorites.

UrbanOutfitters.com
Okay, I know a lot of people aren’t the biggest fans of Urban Outfitters, but they have a pretty cool selection of gifts. Head over to the Apartment section to find a variety of toys, office supplies, electronics, and apartment decor. Some of their stuff can be a little crass (like the Bodily Functions Sound Effect Machine), but they definitely have stuff that will appeal to both the hipster and the kid in you.

My recommendations: The 2013 Bubble Calendar, because who doesn’t still love popping bubble wrap? And the Ridley’s Giant Bouncy Ball—admit it, you totally wanted one of these as a kid.

ThinkGeek.com
ThinkGeek is a great place to shop for any of your Carnegie Mellon friends—we all have at least a little bit of nerd in us, after all. ThinkGeek appeals to all kinds of geeks. They have everything from Star Wars to Doctor Who to The Lord of the Rings to just general science-y gifts. Don’t be ashamed to admit that you think ThinkGeek is cool; have a little nerd pride.

My recommendations: Giant Plush Microbes. There’s nothing more romantic than giving your significant other a fuzzy, stuffed Kissing Disease Microbe! With 26 microbe options, I’d probably avoid giving them The Plague. And since this is Carnegie Mellon, the NERF Maverick is a great choice for that friend who has always secretly wanted to join those students who walk around with a full arsenal of NERF guns.

Laura Stiles is a Creative Writing, Professional Writing double major at Carnegie Mellon University who will be graduating in May 2014. In addition to being Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Carnegie Mellon chapter of HerCampus.com, she is Co-Prose Editor of The Oakland Review, Carnegie Mellon’s literary-arts journal, a manuscript reader for Carnegie Mellon University Press, and has copy-edited for Carnegie Mellon’s newspaper, The Tartan. She was also Communications and Arts Management Intern at The Hillman Center for Performing Arts in summer 2012, and is ecstatic to be studying abroad in Sheffield, England in spring 2013. In her free time, she enjoys singing along to music on long car rides, spontaneously kicking off her shoes to explore lakes and creeks, and curling up with a soft blanket and a captivating book. She was also recently pleasantly surprised to discover that she has a taste for sushi.