Five Golden Rings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Every two years, I go through two weeks of rapid emotional waves. I plant myself in front of the television screen for hours at time cheering on glorious athletes who have dedicated their minds and bodies to achieving one goal. Every two years, the Olympics arrive.

Even though the summer Olympics have more events, the winter Olympics hold a very special place in my childhood. After quitting gymnastics, I picked up figure skating for a little under ten years. I wasn’t the most bold and courageous at jumps, but I loved practicing different spins and little footwork embellishments. I felt so happy every time I glided across the rink feeling smooth, free, and elegant. Unfortunately, middle school brought on hectic schedules, and I had to quit figure skating, something I occasionally regret. The only thing that brought me that type of joy again was watching Michelle Kwan during the Olympics as a child. Even though being an Olympian wasn’t really one of my biggest dreams, seeing Olympians pour their soul into a beautiful type of athletic art made up for quitting.

However, the real reason for why I tear up every time the Opening Ceremony or medal ceremony comes onto my screen isn’t because of childhood hobby. It’s because the Olympics were the only time of my life where I remember being endlessly excited, happy, and at peace. As a child, I had wild rollercoaster years with numerous ups and downs. But no matter what was happening, everyone would sit down each evening and watch the Olympics. It wasn’t just the world that paused for temporary truce with its conflicts; it was anything negative happening in my life as well. Knowing the type of sacrifice people go through, I was able to relate to the athletes more and feel that sense of overjoyed euphoria when they finally achieved their goals.

So as I sit in the Stever lounge with a goofy childish grin and tears in my eyes each night for the rest of these Olympic Games, I don’t care how many people call me crazy. These five rings bring an era of peace to the world, the dedicated athletes, and to me. These five rings prove to me that dedication and passion exist and make things possible. These five rings are golden.

I'm currently a junior studying Business Administration with an additional major in Decision Science. Two places I call home are New Jersey and Taiwan. On campus, I'm involved with Dancers' Symposium, CMBA, UMO, and am a sister of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Some of my hobbies include writing, snowboarding, art, dance music, traveling, and running. My guilty pleasures are playing with cosmetics, shoe shopping, and Gossip Girl. You can always spot me on campus in heels (as if I were still in New York City) and holding a dirty chai latte!
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.