Entertainment Blog: My Top 5 Romantic Comedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

I love romantic comedies as much as any girl.  They just make me feel good inside, it’s almost like telling me everything is going to be all right in the end. Of course, everyone always ends up with whom they are supposed to be with.  RomComs are a great way to unwind for a couple of hours during a stressful week, or just after a bad day.  Here are my top five romantic comedy picks. If you haven’t seen them yet I’d suggest a trip to redbox!

When Harry Met Sally

The movie that set the new standard for romantic comedies features Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan as long time friends who inevitably develop feelings for each other.  The climactic scene takes place on New Years Eve when Harry professes his love to Sally.  This RomCom just makes you feel happy and comforted yet is still laugh out loud funny.

Friends With Benefits

We all know that the friends with benefits idea rarely works without complications.  Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake play Dylan and Jamie, who think that they can manage not to fall for each other as the Hollywood romantic comedies dictate.  We all know how this is going to turn out, but the chemistry between Timberlake and Kunis makes the entire movie.  The friends with benefits scenario is completely relatable to college students, and the movie is hilarious.

Leap Year

In this adorably cliché RomCom, Amy Adams plays Anna Brady who plans to travel to Dublin, Ireland to propose to her boyfriend on February 29, leap day, because, according to Irish tradition, a man who receives a marriage proposal on a leap day must accept it.  Along the way she meets Declan, whose Irish accent will cause you to melt immediately.  Inevitably, they fall in love.  The two have great chemistry, making this a great feel-good RomCom.

Knocked Up

Leaning more towards comedy than romance, Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogan bring absolute hilarity to the most complicated one-night-stand in history.  Of course, it is a Judd Apatow movie, so comedy is to be expected, but there is still plenty of romance, unconventional as it may be.  This movie will have you laughing from beginning to end, so it can be a great break from the stress of finals.

The 40 Year Old Virgin

We all know that Steve Carell is hilarious, and I personally think this is the funniest movie he’s done.  With his large collection of comic books and action figures, Carell’s character Andy is happy until he begins to feel pressure from his friends to lose his virginity.  His friends, including Paul Rudd and Seth Rogan, search for a woman for their friend, as Andy falls in love with Trish, a single mother.  This movie never grows old, and it just might make you feel a little better if your own love life has you down.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports. 
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.