Entertainment Blog: Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

The weather has been getting nicer, and that can only mean one thing: Summer is on the way. That means a ton of highly anticipated movies to look forward to. This summer, highlights include super heroes, Snow White, Tim Burton,  and a battle to save the universe. 

The most buzzed about movie of Summer 2012 has to be The Dark Knight Rises.  The movie has all of us wondering how things will end our favorite comic book hero, Batman, when the terrorist leader Bane arrives in Gotham City (which is actually Pittsburgh!).  With the success of the previous two movies, Christopher Nolan will surely not disappoint with the third movie of the trilogy.

The Amazing Spiderman is another highly anticipated superhero movie coming out in Summer 2012.  In this origin story, Peter Parker, played by Andrew Garfield, finds a clue that can help him understand why his parents disappeared when he was young. Along the way, he collides with Dr. Curt Connors, his father’s former partner.  The movie also stars Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy and is a must-see for fans of the arachnid hero.

The Avengers brings together what seems like every famous actor possible playing super humans brought together to save the world.  With Chris Hemswoth as Thor, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.  These Marvel characters will definitely start off what seems to be the summer of superheroes with a bang.

A Snow White remakes also comes out this summer, following in the footsteps of March’s Mirror Mirror starring Lily Collins and Julia Roberts.  In Snow White and the Huntsman, starring Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron, and Ray Winstone, the huntsman ordered by the Evil Queen to take Snow White into the woods to be killed ends up helping her to vanquish the queen.

For Tim Burton and Johnny Depp fans, Dark Shadows is a must see.  Burton’s latest masterpiece stars Depp as an imprisoned vampire who is set free and returns home to protect his descendants.  While the movie may follow the overused vampire trend, Depp’s character is sure to be a far cry from Edward Cullen.  Edward Scissorhands reunion anyone?

In Prometheus, a team of scientists journey through the universe on the spaceship “Prometheus” on a voyage to investigate Alien life forms. The team of scientists becomes stranded on an Alien world and as they struggle to survive it becomes clear that the horrors they experience are not just a threat to themselves, but to all of mankind.

Other movies to be released this summer include Bourne series sequel The Bourne Legacy, Men in Black III, Rock of Ages, The Expendables 2, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Woody Allen’s The Rome with Love, and The Dictator.  So break out those shorts and flip flops and head to the movie theater because you won’t want to miss the most highly anticipated movies of the summer.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports. 
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.