Entertainment Blog: Lessons to Learn from “Friends”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

“Friends” was an iconic television show. Today, sitcoms still attempt to mimic the chemistry and comedy of Ross, Joey, Chandler, Phoebe, Rachel, and Monica. The most recent example being ABC’s “Happy Endings.” The show also revolves around six friends in an ensemble cast, and though it has been renewed for another season, it will likely never have the success of “Friends.”

The fact of the matter is the chemistry of the actors and the genius of the writers is nearly impossible to replicate. The show is still popular in syndication, and a new generation now relates to the lives of the six friends. Although the show took place in the nineties, the situations are still extremely relevant (other than the fact that a waitress at a coffee shop lives in what would be an incredibly expensive New York City apartment, but we can ignore that).

In fact, there are many lessons every young adult can take away from Friends:

Lesson #1: “How you doin’?” is a great pick up line. Everyone knows that Joey got all the girls, and this was his signature pick up line. Okay, so you shouldn’t exactly go up to a guy and say that, but the idea is being up front with someone. If you like a guy, say something. The worst that can happen is he doesn’t like you back. Even though Joey may not be the smartest or always have the best ideas (I wouldn’t recommend wearing everything in your roommate’s closet at once, and I don’t does sleeping with everyone get you anywhere), Joey’s general attitude is a good one. Take a chance every once in a while. Ask someone out. There are plenty of fish in the sea. If you get turned down once, move on, but just try taking a chance on love.

Lesson #2: Never use “We were on a break” as an excuse. Making up excuses for something you did wrong is never a good idea. Taking credit for your mistakes may cause disrespect at first, but in the long run, you will be better respected. A second piece of advice that may stem from this one is knowing where both people stand in a relationship. Being more into a guy than he is into you can cause embarrassment. If he is more in to you, there’s no sense hurting his feelings. Basically, don’t make Ross’ mistakes.

Lesson #3: Always read make-up letters all the way through, even if they are 18 pages front and back. This doesn’t just apply to make-up letters (maybe not such a common thing), but commitments in general. Always know what you are getting into. It is better to tell someone, such as a leader of an organization, that you are unable to commit than to say you will do something than back out. Although, Ross’ mistake can be applied to relationships, as well. In general, don’t commit to something you are unable to follow through with.

Lesson #4: Always double check your measurements when making an entertainment unit. Even if you aren’t building an entertainment center, always double-check. It only takes a minute, but it can make all the difference. Whether it’s checking over an exam, proofreading an email, or taking measurements, it never hurts to double-check!

Also, never stick your head in a turkey.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports. 
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.