DIY Zipper Heart Necklace Pendant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.
About the Project: I saw this cute pendant on Pinterest and decided to give it a try. It’s a different twist on the traditional necklace that gives a sweet and classy vibe. This project is not too hard but does take longer than usual.

Materials Needed:
-Zipper (any color)
-Needle and thread (same color as zipper)
-Scissors
-Sewing pin
-Ruler
-Necklace chain  

Step-by-Step:

1. Take the zipper out of the package. Mine was 7” but others can be as long as 9”. Both are too long for the finished pendant. Thus, we need to shorten the zipper to about 4½ ”. If you already know how to shorten a zipper, skip to step #4. If you don’t, keep following the following steps.

2. In order to make a new zipper bottom stop, you must whipstitch around the chain. This stitch is rather simple; just a loop around the chain. Pull the double-stranded thread up from the underside of one side. Bring the thread across the top of the chain and push the needle down and across the underside. Pull the thread up from where you started. And now you’ve made a loop! Do this 8-10 more times. Finish the stitch by knotting the end.

3. Cut the excess zipper at ½” below your new zipper stop.

4. Unzip the zipper and fold one side inwards towards you. Do the same to the other side. You should see a heart shape.

5. Take the pieces you folded and sew them together. Make sure to keep the shape the same.

6. Cut off the ends that stick out.

7. Fold your sewn ends back over. Use a sewing pin to hold the heart in place while you sew the ends on.

8. Cut off the excess ends that stick out of the heart.

9. Use either a silver or gold necklace chain and string on your zipper heart pendant. And there you have it! This statement necklace will look great against a denim button-up shirt. Enjoy!