DIY Tie-Front T-Shirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

About the Project:

Tie-front shirts and blouses have been pretty popular, so this project can help you make your own with your own t-shirts without breaking the bank. It’s fun to wear casually, to a concert, or even to workout. Enjoy!

Materials Needed:

-Old t-shirt

-Scissors

-Ruler (optional)

-Pencil (optional)

Step-By-Step:

1. Lay your t-shirt flat on the ground or floor. This will ensure that your cuts will not be jagged.

1. Use your scissors to cut around the collar and to cut off the sleeves. Make sure to follow the seams when doing so. For the bottom part of the shirt, decide where you want your shirt to end. Find the middle of the shirt and make a mark with your pencil. If you want to be precise, use your ruler and draw the diagonals of which you will cut. Now that you have these marked, cut on both sides of the shirt to the outer edges of the diagonals. Then, cut out only the diagonals on the front of the shirt and finish cutting straight on the back of the shirt.

1. Tie the two diagonals together with a double knot. Voila! It’s simple and easy to do. If you wish, you can leave the sleeves or cut them shorter if you don’t wish to have such large armholes.