Captain Eric Hofmeister, M.D. Shares Information on the Army Scholarship and Becoming a Doctor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

On October 12th, 2011 students enrolled in the Health Professions Program were given the opportunity to hear Captain Eric Hofmeister, M.D. of the United States Navy speak about his unique background. Hofmeister grew up in a small town in Wisconsin with no military exposure and with plans to study human science. He attended Marquette University on an Army scholarship, which paid for his tuition and books in exchange for four years of service. His schooling did not end there: next he pursued medical school, also paid for by the military.

Captain Hofmeister spoke to students about his profession in orthopedic (dealing with the musculoskeletal system) surgery and how much he loves his job. Orthopedic surgery is the “greatest and allows the opportunity for different kinds of surgeries.” He loves his job because of the dedication people show to the military and the passion they have for their country. He has performed hand surgeries and had patients return to active duty as amputees. This speaks to the kind of people he treats and the type of care provided in the military setting. Hofmeister also loves working in the Navy branch of the military, not only because his wife is in it but also because of its perfect size and the locations of navy hospitals.

The program Hofmeister participated in is known as the Health Professional Service Program Scholarship and it pays for all costs of medical school: tuition, books, even scrubs. It also gives students a stipend of $2,088 per month. The military offers every branch of medicine so students can specialize in whatever field they choose with the opportunity to practice that type of medicine in the military. The diversity of the military only adds to the caliber of medical care.

Students thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to hear Captain Hofmeister speak. Freshman Dominic Akerele said of the talk, “I felt like this was a great opportunity because it gave me insight into what it would be like going into the medical field and strengthened my interest for pursuing medical school.” Students appreciated Hofmeister’s wise words, especially when he spoke of his experience in medical school: the first year was a real eye-opener, especially with the volume of information. Hofmeister loves his job and the decisions he made because of the experience he has gained and the fact that he went into a field that makes him happy.

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.