Campus Celebrity: Roman Baiocco, a True “Original”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Almost everyone has some strange, hidden talent.  Some people can touch to their tongue to their nose.  Others can do backflips.  I can sing the alphabet backwards.  Impressed?  Wait ‘til you meet Roman Baiocco, who can kick even the most skilled musicians’ butts at “Name that Soundtrack.”

Roman’s immense knowledge of more soundtracks than I can count is something to be expected—he is a freshman Music Composition major.  After growing up in a rich musical culture in the heart of Manhattan, Roman has found his calling.  Music is his past, present, and future.  In high school, he performed in many of his school’s musicals, was in the choir, did the sound design for shows, and sang in an all-male a Capella group. 

Since arriving at Carnegie Mellon, Roman has found himself right at home.  He quickly befriended two other freshman Music Composition majors, and together they quickly made a name for themselves with their “Wasabi Burrito” song and late-night jam sessions in CFA.  He is also a member of the Originals.  After placing second at the ICCA Quarterfinals, Roman and the Originals advanced to the Semifinals in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where they placed fourth.  They finished their season with a spectacular performance at No Instruments Aloud, featuring “Uptown Funk” and a “SpongeBob Squarepants” medley, in which Roman performed a memorable solo.

Roman cites fellow Originals member Stephen Murphy and composer Michael Giacchino as his role models.  After graduating from CMU, he aspires to write film scores so that one day a new generation of Music Composition majors will be guessing his name during a rousing game of “Name that Soundtrack.”

Western Pennsylvania, born and raised, in Hunt Library is where I spend most of my days. Freakin' out, studying, not playing it cool, 'cus I have so much homework to do at this school. Then I went to the gym, it's my primary bae, hoping that all my stress would just go away. But it didn't, oh well, I just stayed up til 2. That's when I decided to write for HC CMU.
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.