Campus Celebrity: Jenny Yang ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

As CMU’s resident, Fresh Princess of Bel Air (Maryland), Jenny Yang has made quite the difference on our campus. Jenny is a junior Information Systems major from, you guessed it, Bel Air, Maryland and is the President of CMU’s service organization, 1000plus.

Service is an integral part of Jenny’s life. She has been involved in 1000plus since her freshman year at CMU and as President, she now works with the rest of the Executive Board to plan, organize and execute the event.

When asked why she is so passionate about 1000plus, Jenny responded, “Being able to help someone in need is something I greatly value in life and service has been a great outlet for that passion of mine.”

Jenny also understands the importance of coordinating with a team: “1000plus allows me to work with some amazing people to achieve a common goal – which I very much enjoy and find very cool to be a part of.” Jenny brings this same passion to everything she does here on campus. She is currently the Service Chair for her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and has has the opportunity to share her love of philanthropy with her chapter. 

Jenny also serves as one of the two co-chairs for AB Concerts; her main responsibilities include planning the annual Fall and Spring Carnival Concerts. And yes, that means you have her to thank for bringing Walk the Moon to campus this coming Saturday. Additionally, she also helps out at other AB events. Yet even with all these extra-curricular activities on her plate, Jenny still finds time to focus on her studies and has even been on the Dean’s list for her excellent grades! 

In her free time, Jenny enjoys going to concerts (especially ones she doesn’t have to plan herself) and always makes it in front of the TV for TGIT (Her favorite shows are Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder).

Make sure to support Jenny this weekend at the Walk the Moon Concert and in the spring at the next 1000plus Day of Service!

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.