Campus Celebrity: Catherine Spence ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Carnegie Mellon is busy place, bursting with opportunities, and Catherine Spence is determined to do it all. Catherine is a senior dual degree student in professional writing and decision science with a minor in business administration as well as a Desk Services Manager for CMU Housing Services, a Student Assistant in Undergraduate Research, a SDS Research Assistant, Vice President of Rho Lambda, a 2015 Orientation Leader, Director of Chapter Facilities for Alpha Phi, and a lead in Alpha Phi Greek Sing Show this year, as well as a member of the Humanities Scholars Program, Order of Omega, Survivor Support Network, Sigma Tau Delta, and the Minority Student Advisory Council.

It seems impossible to be involved in so many organizations, but Catherine makes it work. “I use a lot of iCalendars,” she said with a laugh. “But I also rely on time management and blocking out time to do everything from homework, sleeping, eating, exercise, & taking time for myself.”

Catherine admits that no one can do it all alone, and stresses the importance of having friends that support you. “CMU can be really hard, and it’s really hard to balance everything,” said Catherine. “Everyone is busy and stressed out, so it’s really good to have support systems and people to watch out for you so you don’t go crazy.”

Out of all of her various experiences in different organizations on campus, Catherine says that the experience that was the most meaningful to her was being a founding member of Alpha Phi. “Being a founding member was a really unique experience,” said Catherine. “We helped shape the future of our chapter. I was on the executive council for two years, and it was a great chance to jump in and get involved. It’s so exciting to leave here knowing that my legacy will live on in a beautiful chapter.”

Catherine admits that a lot has changed since she was a freshman. “I’m a lot more confident in myself,” says Catherine. “CMU is a very safe environment to grow, and being a part of Orientation and Alpha Phi helped me grow and learn to connect with people.”

Catherine has been involved in Carnegie Mellon’s past three Orientations, so I asked her about the advice she gives to freshman during their first week. “Embrace the awkward,” she says with a laugh. “CMU is a very unique learning environment with a lot going on. Embrace who you are and make fast friendships.” After a moment she adds, “Oh, and call your parents!”

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.