Birth Control Options Explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Birth control: all the different options can get so confusing! But don’t worry. This comprehensive list of twelve types of birth control will tell you exactly what to expect, with everything ranging from the pill to the female condom.

Option 1: The Combination Pill. More commonly known as Yasmin, Estrostep Fe, and Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. This birth control is 99% effective against pregnancy, if taken every day. It’s also known to restore regular periods and ease hot flashes. Is it right for you? For most women, this is a safe and effective option. But smokers and those who are over the age of 35 should avoid it. This pill contains estrogen, which can cause dangerous blood clots. If you have migraines, consider a different option because this will trigger those headaches.

Option 2: Progestin-Only Pill. Called Micronor and Ovrette, or even the mini pill. These pills don’t contain estrogen and are safer for smokers, diabetics and those who have heart disease or at risk. These will not reduce the milk supply for women who breastfeed. But you should avoid this if you will not be able to take the pill at the same time every day. If you might take it more than three hours late, look to another option.

Option 3: Extended Cycle Pill. Called Lybrel, Seasonale, and Seasonique. These pills prevent pregnancy and only allow you to get your period every three months. (In fact, Lybrel will stop your period for a year, if you take it every day.) This pill is still a risk because there is no long-term data to show that not getting your period is safe. But there isn’t any data to prove that it’s dangerous not to have them, either.

Option 4: Vaginal Ring. Also known as NuvaRing, you’ve probably seen commercials for these on TV. The ring is made from flexible plastic, delivering estrogen and progestin, just like the combination pill. You place the ring in your vagina for three weeks, and then remove it for a week so you still have a regular period. Avoid the ring if you smoke, have blood clots or certain cancers.

Option 5: Diaphragm. Probably one of the most talked about options, before the pill came along. It’s made of rubber and is dome-shaped, to prevent sperm from fertilizing an egg. It covers the cervix and should always be used with spermicide. A doctor will fit you for a diaphragm. But this is not an option all women feel comfortable with. If you are sexually active, talk to your partner before you opt for a diaphragm. Additionally, if your weight fluctuates by more than 10 pounds regularly, you will probably need to get refitted. If you’ve had toxic shock syndrome (from tampons) then a diaphragm is not the right option.

Option 6: IUD. Known as ParaGard, which is a copper device that is surgically implanted to prevent sperm from reaching the egg, much like a diaphragm. A different IUD, Mirena, is also surgically implanted. Mirena releases hormones to prevent pregnancy. IUDs are more effective than the pill and can last for ten years. But many doctors are recommending them only for women who have given birth because the device expands your uterus once implanted, which can be painful. This is a long-term option because removal can cost up to $500.

Option 7: The Female Condom. There has been plenty of talk about this one. So what is the deal? The female condom is made of soft plastic to protect against STDs. It is inserted into the vagina, over the cervix, like a diaphragm. The female condom can be put in place up to eight hours before sex. Female condoms are not as effective against STDs and pregnancy as the male condom, so use these as extra protection, not a substitute.

Option 8: The Male Condom. These are great protection against pregnancy and STDs. They prevent sperm from entering the uterus. Opt for latex or polyurethane condoms because lambskins don’t shield against all STDs. If your partner is allergic to latex or polyurethane, then you should find another option. If you use lubricant that contains oil, try switching to one that does not, such as K-Y jelly to prevent degradation of latex.

Option 9: Patch. This one is less common and has some side effects. You can place it on your arm, buttock, or abdomen and leave it for one week. If you are at risk for blood clots, do not use the patch. It delivers significantly more estrogen than low dose pills, so you are at increased risk for blood clots.

Option 10: Implant. The implant is the size of match and is placed under the skin of your upper arm. They last for about three years and cost around $800 and are nearly 100% effective. Implants are not recommended for overweight women.

Option 11: Emergency Contraception. This is a backup plan for birth control. Plan B contains a higher dose of the hormones found in the combination pill. It works best if taken 72 hours within unprotected sex but can work for up to 5 days. This is only available to women over the age of 18. Minors will need a prescription.

Option 12: Abstinence. Of course, abstinence from sexual activity is the only way to be absolutely, 100% sure that you will not get an STD or become pregnant.

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Laura Stiles is a Creative Writing, Professional Writing double major at Carnegie Mellon University who will be graduating in May 2014. In addition to being Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Carnegie Mellon chapter of HerCampus.com, she is Co-Prose Editor of The Oakland Review, Carnegie Mellon’s literary-arts journal, a manuscript reader for Carnegie Mellon University Press, and has copy-edited for Carnegie Mellon’s newspaper, The Tartan. She was also Communications and Arts Management Intern at The Hillman Center for Performing Arts in summer 2012, and is ecstatic to be studying abroad in Sheffield, England in spring 2013. In her free time, she enjoys singing along to music on long car rides, spontaneously kicking off her shoes to explore lakes and creeks, and curling up with a soft blanket and a captivating book. She was also recently pleasantly surprised to discover that she has a taste for sushi.