This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Relationships aren’t always easy and sometimes the best choice is to just let it go. But breakups can be tough and often leave girls in emotional slumps. Who has time for that?

Take a day or two at the max to grieve, listen to all of the sad songs in your iTunes library, watch corny movies, eat a pint of ice cream, use an entire box of tissues, hash out every last detail of the breakup with your best friend … and then start moving on.

There are plenty of reasons to love being single (one that comforts me in particular is that if I happen to run into Adam Levine, I can say yes without feeling any guilt whatsoever when he asks me out on a date). These songs will help put a spring back in your step and get you moving on to bigger and better things.

1. “Gonna Get Over You” by Sara Bareilles

Even though it is about getting over a breakup, this song has such a catchy beat, you can’t help but dance a little (and what is better for a bad mood than dancing?). If you need an extra pick-me-up, watch the music video. It’s quirky and will make you smile.

Lyric to shout: I’ll be all right, just not tonight, but someday

2. “Makes Me Wonder” by Maroon 5

Though you may not mean it, it might help you to question if you ever had any interest in the relationship at all. Put on a tough outer skin at least for the time being, and maybe eventually it will help you to get over it. At the very least you won’t be dwelling on how sad you are anymore. This song won a Grammy, so it is highly qualified to help you in your emotional struggle. Besides, no one knows emotional struggles better than Adam Levine.

Lyric to shout: One day I’ll wake up and it won’t hurt anymore.

3. “Carry On” by Fun.

Though this song has no romantic context, it has an inspirational message and reassures you that you can get through this. It builds in a way that you can’t help but sing along at the top of your longs by the last repeat of the chorus.

Lyric to shout: If you’re lost and alone, or you’re sinking like a stone, carry on.

4. “Roar” by Katy Perry

Girrrrrl power! Again, despite its lack of romantic context, this is very simply an empowering song. Sing along and remind yourself of all of the great things you’re going to go on to accomplish without your ex. Because you are a champion. And he’s gonna hear you roar.

Lyric to shout: You held me down, but I got up, already brushing off the dust.

5. “Forget You” by Cee Lo Green

Is there anything more fun than riding in a car with your girls, blasting the music, and bringing out your inner soul singer? Maybe, but that sounds pretty fun, right? Shouting these lyrics will make you feel like you told that ex of yours a thing or two without the repercussions of actually doing so. If you’re really upset, go for the explicit version (just don’t drive through any neighborhoods with little kids playing in the front yard). And if that still doesn’t cheer you up, look up the video of that time he performed the song in a ridiculous bird costume.

Lyric to shout: I pity the fool that falls in love you

6. “Skin and Bones” by Charlene Kaye

This song faces the harsh reality that sometimes people just don’t work out. But Charlene’s smooth, mellow vocals will soothe your aching heartstrings, and Darren Criss’ contribution to the song will make you melt. This song is particularly great because it ends on a hopeful note. Also Darren Criss’ voice is like audible chocolate.

Lyric to shout: In time I’m sure I’ll grow to know another’s eyes, another’s laugh, and skin and bones

7. “Oh No!” by Marina and the Diamonds

This song has absolutely nothing to do with a breakup, but can help reawaken your ambitious spirit if it took a little nap when you and your ex parted ways. Better yet, it is so energetic and catchy that you just can’t help but dance (Again, doctors recommend dancing to chase away sadness. Just kidding, no doctor ever recommended that. But they should because it’s extremely effective.) Also the music video is super fun.

Lyric to shout: Don’t need a relationship. I’ll never soften my grip.

8. “Walk Away” by Kelly Clarkson

Who could forget about our girl Kelly? No one does suck-it songs quite like she does, and she is another artist who is excellent for radio-blasting. This tune in particular puts the emphasis on her mental wellbeing, and demands respect from her lover as she slaps that lover around with her sassy words. Buh-bye, ex.

Lyric to shout: Are you gonna fight for me? Die for me? Live and breathe for me? Do you care for me? Cuz if you don’t then just leave!

9. “It’s a Beautiful Day” by Michael Bublé

This crooner doesn’t just do covers on Sinatra songs, and his original songs are just as pleasant to the ear. In this song, Michael celebrates the great things that are yet to come now that he is out of his previous relationship. You will not just be okay with your breakup after you listen to this peppy song, you will feel liberated.

Lyric to shout: If you ever think I’ll take up my time with thinking of our breakup, then you’ve got another think coming your way. Cuz it’s a beautiful day.

10. “Through With You” by Maroon 5

I know, I know, this is the second Maroon 5 song on the list. I can’t help it. They’re my favorite band, and Adam knows how to write a relatable lyric, especially when it comes to breakups. This old school Maroon 5 tune is for the scorned lovers. It is the total bitch-out your ex probably totally deserves. Don’t just get over your ex, get mad!

Lyric to shout: I used to think you were the one now I’m sick of thinking anything at all.

I hope this helped you to get through your tough time. You are a free woman now! Enjoy the liberty!

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.