The 8 Guiltiest Pleasures of CMU Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

We all like to indulge sometimes, even at Carnegie Mellon.  When we have the time (or the money!) the opportunity to vegout and give our brain a much needed break from that latest problem-set  is simply irresistible. Here are eight things that no college student can resist from time to time, especially when the grey grabs ahold of Pittsburgh and doesn’t let go until May:

8. YouTube: We all watch the classics and often waste hours searching the most ridiculous topics. Charlie biting or Fred whining just doesn’t get old. 

7. Disney Movies: We grew up with the Disney princesses and no matter what, we love the sappy romance of a good Disney movie especially after a long week of school work.

6. Facebook “Stalking”: The pictures, the status updates, the constant drama. It all provides a continuous update on friends all over the world and there is always something interesting going on in cyber space. We know who is dating who, who hates who, and what everyone is doing at every moment. 

5. Reality TV: Who hasn’t seen the infamous Jersey Shore fist pump? No matter how trashy or dirty the shows might be, there is something catchy about people doing ridiculous things for millions of viewers to witness.

4. Late-night Frozen Yogurt: Whether it’s a trip to Skibo or Razzy Fresh, CMU always provides the quick-fix to a sweet tooth with delicious frozen yogurt.

3. Care Packages: When Mom sends a care package, it makes the day. From yummy homemade cookies to that old t-shirt that smells like home, these packages are always appreciated.

2. Sweatpants: It doesn’t matter if you’re headed to class or spending the day lounging in your room, sweatpants are a must-have. They are always comfortable, sometimes fashionable and the easiest go-to in a college student’s wardrobe.

1. Sleep: It’s our best friend, whether or not you want to admit it. We all crave it and will go to great lengths to get it.

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.