10 Ways to Stay Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Finals are officially in full swing and stress is taking its toll on many CMU students. First thing’s first, remember to stay calm.  Finals will be over soon and you can head home. But, in the meantime, these tips can help you when it may seem like food is the only comfort! 

10. Eat breakfast- skipping breakfast can decrease concentration and also leads to hunger later in the day.

9. Indulge sometimes- don’t always limit yourself and restrict what you can eat. Giving in to a craving can help satisfy those little indulgences so you can really concentrate on studying.

8. Watch your portions- there is no rule saying you have to finish your food. So, if the block at the pavilion that includes two slices of pizza seems like too much, opt for one slice and a side salad.

7. Eat fresh food- try to eat fresh fruits and vegetables as often as possible. 

6. Avoid late-night snacking- your body will not burn those calories as quickly and that extra snacking is not good for digestion or studying.

5. Sleep- make sure to get at least eight hours every night, or you will not have full brain ability. You want to be on your game for every test.

4. Eat whole grains- they are better for you and provide more nutrition than foods that aren’t made with whole grains.

3. Limit alcohol- drinking and studying don’t tend to mix. So, if you do go out, make sure to go with a friend and watch how much you drink. Alcohol has extra calories and a hangover will not help cure final’s stress.

2. Avoid caffeine- drinking too much coffee is not good for your body. It messes up hormone cycles and affects the brain’s ability to think.

1. Drink water- it balances out electrolytes and helps with concentration!

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.