You’ve Ditched Your Meal Plan, Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Did you get tired of being tempted by the option of all you can eat Harcombe seasoned fries and pizza buffet?  Perhaps, you simply could not face the crusty sandwich station or repetitive salad line one more time. Whatever the case may be, you’ve decided to give up your meal plan in hopes of eating healthier and cheaper in the New Year.  How’s that working out for you? Well, if you’re like the average college student, you’ve probably found that you’re eating more fast food now that you’ve ditched the dining hall. I know I’ve hit Groucho’s up three times in just one week. But news flash—your new habit of eating out every meal is just as bad as giving into the Mr. Waffle station you tried to avoid all fall. Here are some tips and recipes to save you time, money, and calories, AND impress your friends at the same time with your new chef skills.

Tips:

1. Stock up on food items that you can eat for breakfast every morning. Some of these could include low sugar cereals, skim/1% milk, cereal and granola bars for the go (check labels if you’re trying to lose weight, as these can contain tons of hidden calories). Fiber-1 bars keep you full for hours. Eggs are also a great source of protein, and egg whites are delicious and insanely low- cal. Oatmeal is super cheap and healthy. Use breakfast as your easy meal.
  2. Keep bananas, apples, and oranges (all cheap and healthy snacks) on your counter or in easy to reach places. Grab for these instead of the bottomless snack bags (that you shouldn’t buy at all).
  3. Drink a ton of water. Invest in a trendy, new water bottle and take it everywhere to refill. The more water you drink, the more weight you lose…it’s that simple.
  4. Make something once and the leftovers can last you several meals—especially soups, quiches and side items.

Here are some fun and impressive recipes to make for all your events or to keep in your fridge to munch on throughout the week. When you buy expensive (but necessary) ingredients, keep them together in the fridge/pantry to avoid buying them again.

My Grandmother’s Chicken Quiche
But really, this is my grandmother’s recipe-not just some silly title. This is perfect for brunch with your besties or to have at hand all week. Obviously, this is best prepared with mimosas.

Ingredients:

1 deep piecrust
4 beaten eggs
1 ½ cups chopped chicken breast
1 can cream of celery soup
1 cup 2% shredded mixed cheese
1/3 cup half and half
1 oz onion
Salt and pepper

Directions:

1. In a bowl, beat 4 eggs.
  2. Take a little bit of the eggs out and put onto the deep piecrust.
  3. Bake the shell at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Let cool.
  4. Mix the remainder of beaten eggs with the other ingredients (listed above) in the bowl.
  5. Pour into cooled piecrust shell.
  6. Cook for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
  7. Cut into slices. Refrigerate after first serving and enjoy for several meals.

Cali Quesadilla
Try these when you’re starving during study sessions or for a casual movie night without tipping the scale. This recipe makes 1 serving and is approximately 270 calories (with bacon—less without).

Ingredients:
1 low carb large tortilla
1 oz cooked chicken breast cut up into pieces
1 oz avocado, chopped (or more if you really love it, like me J)
¼ chopped tomato
¼ cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese
Low fat real bacon bits **totally optional

Directions:

1. Heat stove top to medium setting (usually number 5).
  2. Spray your large skillet with cooking spray (olive oil recommended). Place large tortilla face down into skillet and sprinkle half of your cheese onto one half of the tortilla.
  3. Add avocado, tomato, and chicken onto the same half of the tortilla. Smother with remainder of cheese and bacon (if you want).
  4. Take the empty side of the tortilla and fold it over the half with the toppings and let simmer. Flip halfway through, until both sides of the tortilla are light brown and the cheese is melted. Divide into desired sections.

[pagebreak]

Wonton Tacos
These are super easy and have a quick prep time- perfect for dinner appetizers or pre-function snacks. This recipe makes four servings (1 serving = 2 tacos) and each serving is only 96 calories!

Ingredients:
8 small square wonton wrappers (usually stocked with the tofu in the refrigerated section of the market)
1 cup dry coleslaw mix
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp. Newman’s Own Lighten Up! Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing (or another low-fat sesame ginger dressing)
4 oz. cooked and shredded (or finely chopped) skinless lean chicken breast
2 tbsp. BBQ sauce with about 45 calories per 2-tbsp. serving

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Spray the inside and outside walls of a deep square or rectangular baking pan with nonstick spray. Evenly drape the wonton wrappers over the pan’s walls on a diagonal, making triangle-shaped “shells.” (Use two pans, if needed, to keep wontons from overlapping.)
  3. Bake until just crispy enough to hold their shape, about 3 minutes. ?Remove pan from the oven, but leave oven on. Carefully remove wontons and gently open to form “taco shells.” Set aside. ??
  4. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine coleslaw mix, cilantro, and dressing. Mix well. Cover and microwave for about 1 minute, until slightly softened. Set aside.
  5. In another bowl, combine chicken with BBQ sauce; mix well and set aside.
  6. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Evenly distribute the BBQ chicken among the shells, followed by the slaw, about 1 tbsp. of each per shell. Lay the filled shells gently on their sides on the baking sheet. Spray the shells lightly with nonstick spray.
  7. Bake until warm and crunchy, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly and then serve.

(Recipe from hungry-girl.com)

Strawberry Cake
Got a bestie’s birthday coming up and want to blow away the guests? Try my mom’s recipe for an instant hit. If you’re dieting, only have a slice- or half. We all can’t have our cake and eat it, too.

Ingredients for Cake:
1 box white cake mix          
1pkg (small) strawberry jello
4 eggs                                   
2/3 cup Wesson oil
2/3 cup warm water (I use strawberry juice)
2/3 cup strawberries (drained)

Directions for Cake:

1. Mix cake mix & jello.
  2. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
  3. Cook in greased, floured, and wax paper lined pans (three 8” pans).
  4. Bake at 350?for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Icing Ingredients/ Directions:

1. Soften 1 stick of butter to room temperature.
  2. Sift 3 cups of confectioner sugar.
  3. Soften 4 oz of cream cheese.
  4. Mix all three until smooth.
  5. Add last–1 cup strawberries (drained) and stir.
  6. Apply to cake between the layers. Stack 3 layers together and then apply to the top. Chill overnight in the refrigerator.
  7. Decorate with white gel icing.

**Tip: If icing runs off sides, take a knife and nicely reapply to the balding spots and/or sides. Use common college girl sense.

[pagebreak]
Crab Dip
Perfect for southern tailgating and pregame nights with your girls! It is best paired with Parmesan Basil Wheat Thins and a white wine- my preference being Chardonnay.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
4 oz. light cream cheese
1/2 cup light mayo
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup cooked crab
2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 tsp Hot sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
1 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
Ground red pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in large bowl by hand with a spoon (aka not in a mixer).
Can be served warmed in oven or chilled. 

**Side note: I have also used this same mixture in a piecrust and it makes a good quiche.

Marinated Bean Salad
A great side dish for dinner with your guy. He will thank you for introducing veggies in such a tasteful way, and you will get major points with his mom.

Ingredients:

1 16oz can cut green beans         
1 16oz can wax beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans 
1 cup cooked & drained butter beans
1 cup corn                            
1 diced onion
1 diced green pepper                     
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar              
½ cup vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Drain all cans of beans.
  2. Combine vinegar, sugar, and oil in a pot on stove top.
  3. Set mixture to high setting and bring to a boil.
  4. Pour over drained vegetables.
  5. Add salt & pepper to taste.
  6. Chill overnight.

Grape Salad
 This is a decadent side dish/dessert for dinner parties that will have people complimenting your chef skills for months. If you’re cooking for a calorie conscious crowd, use less sugar (brown and regular) & cream cheese.

Ingredients:
2lbs green seedless grapes          
2 lbs red seedless grapes
8 ounces sour cream                     
8 ounces cream cheese
½ cup granulated sugar                
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping ingredients:
1 cup of brown sugar                     
1 cup of crushed pecans

Directions:

1. Wash and de-stem grapes. Set aside.
  2. Mix sour cream, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla by hand until blended.
  3. Stir grapes into mixture. Pour combination into large serving bowl.
  4. For topping:  combine brown sugar and crushed pecans.
  5. Sprinkle over top of grapes to cover completely.
  6. Chill overnight.
Paige is a senior at Clemson University majoring in communication studies and minoring in business and technical writing. Hailing from Northern Virginia, she is the campus correspondent and founder of Her Campus Clemson, as well as VP of membership programming for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, and a contributing writer for The Tiger. She loves writing and photography, and after studying abroad in France this summer, she hopes to someday be a photographer and writer for a travel magazine. She has a strong passion (obsession) for social media, and when she's not tweeting or Facebook stalking, you can find her watching Criminal Minds and Glee, inhaling Chipotle burritos, jamming out to swing music, or shopping for new gameday outfits. GO TIGERS!